Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgbrown

Reaction score
So I have been searching craigslist religiously for a chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber. Most of the freezers I have found are about 10 years old give or take a year or so. My question is, how long do these units last? I know that is partly dependent on the cycling of the compressor. Keep in mind I am in Arizona and these freezers have most likely been in garages that average 120F. I guess I am looking for some testimony that either says yeah they die around 15 years or I have a 20 year old freezer that runs just fine. Thanks HBT.

I don't have an answer for ya but wanted to add something to the discussion. I have passed on several old and cheap chest freezers because I would assume they are less efficient and more expensive to keep running. The only help I can add is that I have seen plenty of 10-15 year old running chest freezers for sale. But maybe there is a reason people are getting rid of them.

My last freezer was made in 1974. Some may only lasts 10 years. Most do last a long time, especially when used for fermentation, they cycle way less than when used for freezing.

Anything older than 1993 an older is wasting approx 55-70% Energy
2002 or older 40-50%
Compaired to new HIGH Effeciency Appliances.

I've been in the valley for almost 50 years and have only lost one freezer. And that one was inherited.

How big of a freezer are you looking for? My 20-ish year old freezer just went tango-uniform over the weekend and I got a 7 cu ft from Lowes on closeout for $158. It's big enough to hold two Better Bottles comfortably, which is what I was after.

I considered the Craigslist route, but as most of the listings were 50 miles or more from where I live, I decided I didn't want to waste $50 worth of gas to save $50 on a freezer that had unknown origins - and doesn't have a permanent stench of rotted meat.

Look around at the big box stores and see if they have scratch-and-dent or floor models for sale. They'll generally be cheaper and as a bonus, carry the factory warranty.

How big of a freezer are you looking for? My 20-ish year old freezer just went tango-uniform over the weekend and I got a 7 cu ft from Lowes on closeout for $158. It's big enough to hold two Better Bottles comfortably, which is what I was after.

I considered the Craigslist route, but as most of the listings were 50 miles or more from where I live, I decided I didn't want to waste $50 worth of gas to save $50 on a freezer that had unknown origins - and doesn't have a permanent stench of rotted meat.

Look around at the big box stores and see if they have scratch-and-dent or floor models for sale. They'll generally be cheaper and as a bonus, carry the factory warranty.

I just want the capacity to have 2 carboys/buckets temperature controlled. My budget for this project is really 150$ max. Being a college kid really limits funds and after going all grain 6 months ago, I can't justify alloting more funds to brewing. I was really hoping to get away with a steal from craigslist. I guess I will just stay patient and narrow my searching to freezers that are 5 years old or newer. The semester starts up monday and I was really hoping to get some brew going :(. Thanks for the responses! :mug:

I just got a 5 year old chest freezer for $75 off of craigslist.

I suppose that's not much info, is it... I can only assume that it will last, since most freezers are good for at least 15-20 years, and it should be efficient since it's from 2004.

So I guess, basically, keep your eye out. They're out there, but you need to snap it up quick if you see it.

I'll second this advice since I just picked myself up a Frigidaire 9.0cf at Lowes that was on clearance because it had a few minor dents in the lid (nothing compromising the insulation or efficiency of the unit). Saved myself $50 over the undented model and still has factory warranty. Definitely the way to go. Delivery on Friday and can't wait to start filling the kegs & chilling them down!:mug:

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 7 - 10 year old chest freezer. You should be able to get one dirt cheap.

I've owned a couple. Lost both in a divorce. At the time they were probably 15 years old and still going strong. - Dwain

I have had my freezer for only about 8-9 years so I am not much help, however my grandpa has one that has been running since the early 60's.

Not a freezer but a 1947 Philco refrigerator still running in a warm patio that has sun on it a couple hours a day in the morning. It turns on once every 2 plus hours for 38 seconds. The New Maytay sid by side runs 80% of the time and told this is normal. Energy wasting old refrigeratiors my azz. I would not worry about older freezer either, sealed without any slow freon leaks plus the proper amount of compressor lube added at time of assembley it should run many years just keep the condenser clean as well the door seals working plus your nor working it at a lower temp. Those short run cycles are what's hard on the compressor.

My budget for this project is really 150$ max . . .
Keep an eye on Craiglist. I've been at that for a long time, looking to replace an old dorm fridge that has a big problem with condensation forming on the inside. Yesterday I found a Wood's 7 cu ft freezer for $25. Picking it up tonight. Add to that temperature control and a couple of Perlicks and it will be right in your price range. Patience pays off!

Back