Siphonless Fermenter (williams Brewing) vs. regular bucket +siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyp123

Reaction score
I'm just starting out and want to know what kit would be better.... Williams Brewing starter kit that includes the siphonless fermenter or a more generic kit that includes a normal bucket and auto siphon. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mike

I have the William's setup. I like it. Don't have to take the lid off to get a sample when checking SG.

At some point you will need to syphon, I say go with the syphon, or at least purchase one as a supplement.

Trust me as soon as you get started you will need more equipment, and you will want more equipment, an autosiphon has made life much easier.

I'm just starting out and want to know what kit would be better.... Williams Brewing starter kit that includes the siphonless fermenter or a more generic kit that includes a normal bucket and auto siphon. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mike

They have the best bucket fermenter around. I love them and have used them for years. Their invert tube back nut is the bees knees. For $29 you get the bucket, lid, spigot, back nut, stopper, airlock, & some vinyl hose.

I am cheap and like having several batches going at once, for that reason I stocked up on morebeers buckets. They are good quality and slightly translucent so you can see whats going on inside. I also think they were less than 20 bucks each for bucket, lid, stopper, spigot and air lock. much less than my LHBS, and they have free shipping over $55 or so.

If you have access to 7 gallon buckets, you can just buy the invert tube backnut and a spigot from Williams and install it yourself to save a few bucks. Either way, I agree with Edwort. That backnut is the bee's knees. You'll never have to siphon anything, unless you switch to carboys in the future.

Sort of. It screws onto the back of the spigot on the inside of the bucket. It keeps the beer out of the spigot and therefore away from outside air and possible contamination. And it also acts as a diptube of sorts when transferring the beer.

E47.JPG

I have the siphonless fermenter bucket and thought it made transferring to the bottling bucket a breeze. However, I did not use the valve for my test samples because I was afraid the valve would become infected once in contact with air and beer. Any thoughts on this, especially from someone that has tried using the valve to get test samples. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back