Yeast cake & Trube in bread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I love Pizza, I love beer... who here dosn't... Has anyone ever used the yeast cake/trube from their primary as yeast in bread? I know you can use some of the spent grains in bread, and have read about it, but the yeast cake? Here's my plan when I rack my Limey Skalleywag (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11676) to 2nd. Just going to toss it in an old one gallon glass jug with a airlock on it with about a 20oz of beer in it. After brewday, maybe a few days later I plan on using all that beer and trube plus some spent grains, maybe a cup, tops, probly 1/2 cup, in some bread dough. There should be some hoppy flavor to it so might make a good bread. Going to roll it into a pan pizza crust. Has anyone used spent yeast from brewing in bread? Does it taste as good as regular yeast? Better? Worse, maybe even terrible? (can't imagine it would) I use to make pizza all the time, but since I bought a house I havn't baked but a hand full of pizzas. I'm due to make one soon and was wondering if this would work. Think I'll try it reguardless, just would like some imput. I mean what else goes better with pizza than beer and better with beer than a beer-crust pizza? Maybe a Beer-crust pizza with Beer-boiled brauts?..... mmmmmmm..... Wonder what a beer doughnut would be like...... Maybe the yeast cake & trube from a maple beer in the dough for a maplebar... hehehe:tank:

I've seen recipes for bread using spent grain, but this is a new one. Let us know how it works.

Latest posts

Back