New brew advice on bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kain

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I'm new to the home brewing scene and I have a question about bottles.

My GF got me a kit for christmas and bottleing time is almost upon me. I was thinking... could I use these bottles? She got me some with the kit thinking I could. Can anyone here see problems with them that might arise? They're fairly large and I like that. I also like the pop top style.

Thanks in advance.

Kain

They will work but you'll want brown. Green & Clear glass let in more UV light which can 'skunk' your beer even after a few minutes of sunlight or even fluorescent light hits them (which is why a lot of green and clear bottled commercial beer tastes 'skunky' - ie. Corona/Heineken.)

You'd be better off searching craigslist for a good deal on these. You may need new rubber gaskets but they're ultra cheap - 100 for like $8 or so...

Hello Everyone.

I'm new to the home brewing scene and I have a question about bottles.

My GF got me a kit for christmas and bottleing time is almost upon me. I was thinking... could I use these bottles? She got me some with the kit thinking I could. Can anyone here see problems with them that might arise? They're fairly large and I like that. I also like the pop top style.

I wouldn't use them, most bottles aren't rated for pressure and I don't see anything indicating that these are.

But I'm pretty paranoid. Others have used them successfully:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/ikea-swing-top-bottles-85973/

Back