Would you like printed labels for your homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-tastic

Reaction score
This is a side project i'm looking at getting into, but i'm looking to gauge interest. How would you, as a homebrewer, like to be able to have custom printed bottle labels? Use them for a special brew or something you make regularly, or just generic labels with your name on them and a logo. Make your beer stand out in a crowd.

These would be full color printed (you supply the design) on removable, waterproof, abrasion resistant durable vinyl. I'd need to test the durability against starsan, but they should last for years of normal usage.

The deal I was looking at was running them in sets of 50, with a 3.25x4.5 square label and 1" neck label to go with them. A set of 50 would be under $40, and I could include US mail shipping in that cost. Custom size/shape orders would be possible as well, but those would be one-off orders and billed at a per sqft rate. Oval labels would be possible as well, and since they would be smaller, they would be marginally cheaper (haven't done the math yet).

The biggest issue would be that in order to pay for the additional equipment, at that price, i'd have to run 500-700 a month to make it worth my while. 10-20 orders a month doesn't seem like much, but over 3 years, that would be 25,000 labels! Is there that much demand for a niche market item? Would you (honestly) purchase a set (or multiple sets) of labels for your beer?

Please be honest, as it would be a hefty investment, and if i can find enough interest, it'd be an enjoyable project to help my fellow homebrewers!

only problem , there are free beer labelers online, If you have a color laser printer you can print your own for the cost of the blanks plus ink. I like your Idea, some people dont have the time or would rather have someone else do it . send me your email I'll keep it in mind.

only problem , there are free beer labelers online, If you have a color laser printer you can print your own for the cost of the blanks plus ink. I like your Idea, some people dont have the time or would rather have someone else do it . send me your email I'll keep it in mind.

Which online beer labels do you use? You have a link?

If it was around $10 I'd consider something like this but any more than that and it wouldn't be worth it to me.

If it was around $10 I'd consider something like this but any more than that and it wouldn't be worth it to me.

This was my biggest concern. A lot of people don't put much value in their labeling. The laser ones will fall apart as soon as you get them wet or the sun doesn't shine right. And a lot of people only use labels on special occasions, or not at all.

At $10, i wouldn't recoup my cost in, not to mention shipping and labor. Unless I get some people saying it'd be awesome and they'd love it, it looks like my research has saved me.

Beer Labelizer allows you to design them for print, but doesn't print them. GrogTag will print them for you, at about the same price I was estimating. most label companies are $.75-$1.00 per label, which my price was at the lower end of.

I'm not sure how much work GrogTag gets, but they seem to be the most directly marketed towards homebrewers (as opposed to just a label company).

It seems like i'm getting the expected answer; that there isn't a big enough need in the market for this service alone.

Back