Building my control panel one PID with multiple temp probes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I just got my Auberins order yesterday. I will have a lot of time next week to put together a control panel. My intial plan is to keep it simple but will probably do a HERMS down the line.

My current setup will be one E-keggle
One HLT
One MLT
Then back to the Keggle.

I am trying to build my control box with future growth in mind. I have an old computer case a rack mounted kind I am looking to use. I'd like to get the jacuzzi panel, the PID and accessories switches and outlets all in the computer case.

I was planning on putting a traditional dial thermometer in the HLT and MLT to monitor those. Instead, could I use a switch to multiple temperature probes to the one PID to just check on temps in the other two vessels? I have the SYL-2352 PID if this makes a difference.

I'm glad you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing last night as I was planning the next phase of my brewery.

I am hoping to use one PID to control both my MLT and my boil kettle (not at the same time) and just disconnect/connect the RTD from the vessel I will be using.

depends on the probe...

You would have to do some mechanical switching to make it work right. The problem is just about anything other than a 0-5V signal or 4-20ma signal is not going to like the added and variable resistances from the contacts and additional wire. thermocouples and RTDs are very sensitive to this because they're working voltages/resistance is so low or have tight tolerances. You might be able to get away with a 3 wire RTD if the pid has a line resistance compensation filter in it. Does the SYL have it? You would have to call and ask.

Thanks Code Rage,
Just got all my electronics yesterday and was reading all the literature with it. Most of it went way over my head. It does suggest using a filter in certain parameters, which I did not really understand, but this makes me assume it is not filtered. One thing I did notice though when buying a reducing bushing for it today, the probe part of the RTD has a quick release on it from the wiring. Maybe I could just get other probes and move the sensor wire to the other vessels when needed. Just left a message with Auberin see what they have to say. If not is there a simpler way to use one temperature indicator to switch between two different probes.

Anyway I will post here my findings.

I am not sure this is what you are planning but here is what I am going to do for my build. I am going to have 1 control box with a single pid in it and a HLT with 4500W element and a BK with 4500w element. The plan is to only run one at a time and plug the element and thermocouple from which ever one I am using at the time. To plug in the thermocouple I will be using on of these

Hope that helps

hey photo pilot. You absolutely could run a couple to your panel and terminate them with a a quick disconnect in the panel. Then connect the Pid's input into which ever thermocouple you want to measure. They sell those clip on disconnects for panel mounts separately for a couple of bucks.

If you have the PID running an element while doing that it is going to wreak havoc on your heat control though.

FYI- the panel disconnects OMJ posted are for thermocouples and will not work for RTDs, make sure to get the RTD ones.

FYI- the panel disconnects OMJ posted are for thermocouples and will not work for RTDs, make sure to get the RTD ones.

yea they have them for RTDs too. When I posted that I didnt realize that he was going RTD and not thermocouple

Back