Wyeast 1272 Yeast Cake; what to rack on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
I will have a Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II) yeast cake in about 2 weeks time. I would like to rack my next brew on top of this. Any suggestions for a good AG "winter" beer? I was thinking of a stout. I guess with this yeast it would be an "American Stout"?

I've found that dark beers like stouts and porters are very flexible when it comes to yeast, especially neutral strains like 1272. I've had the most success on these styles using Safeale US-05. So, to answer your Q, a stout would be just perfect...as long as the prior beer wasn't something really crazy, like a super-hoppy IPA or anything, because that will translate through the cake...

Evan! said:
I've found that dark beers like stouts and porters are very flexible when it comes to yeast, especially neutral strains like 1272. I've had the most success on these styles using Safeale US-05. So, to answer your Q, a stout would be just perfect...as long as the prior beer wasn't something really crazy, like a super-hoppy IPA or anything, because that will translate through the cake...

Crap......my previous brew is guess what......a super hoppy IPA.

What about washing the yeast? Will that prevent the hoppyness from coming through on the second brew?

jayhoz said:
What about washing the yeast? Will that prevent the hoppyness from coming through on the second brew?

That's a good question. I have a wyeast 1388 Belgian strong ale that I used on an American Amber ale and I highly hopped the beer. Since then I've washed it and awaiting a Belgian Dark strong Ale that I'm gonna make in the future. Any comments?

the_Roqk said:
That's a good question. I have a wyeast 1388 Belgian strong ale that I used on an American Amber ale and I highly hopped the beer. Since then I've washed it and awaiting a Belgian Dark strong Ale that I'm gonna make in the future. Any comments?

Interesting yeast choice for an american amber. How did that end up??

Or what about reversing the order. Can I do a simple Stout and then pitch my hoppy IPA on the yeast cake?

jayhoz said:
Or what about reversing the order. Can I do a simple Stout and then pitch my hoppy IPA on the yeast cake?

I think if you did that your IPA wouldn't be so pale...

seefresh said:
Interesting yeast choice for an american amber. How did that end up??

Very good actually. I used it because it gave a fruity aroma with a dry finish, and it fermented out good. It flocculates low and has a high alcohol tolerance. I try and get the yeast that I can use over again for different recipes.

the_Roqk said:
Very good actually. I used it because it gave a fruity aroma with a dry finish, and it fermented out good. It flocculates low and has a high alcohol tolerance. I try and get the yeast that I can use over again for different recipes.

I have the WYeast Belgian Abbey II in a fermenter righ tnow. I'll be washing tha tyeast tonight. Was going to do a trippel with it, I just got it off a dark strong ale (rochefort clone). Who knows though, I like the sound of experiementing. It's some of the best smelling yeast ever.

Latest posts

Back