pouring a home brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody34

Reaction score
How do u folks pour a home brewed bottle? Slowly in a tilted glass? Thoughtlessly onto the bottom of the glass? No preference of pouring? Or drink straight from the bottle? Is there a right and wrong way? I pour slowly with glass tilted to avoid excessive foam.

just pour it carefully and leave about an inch in the bottle. The important thing is not to move the bottle around a lot before you pour, cheers!!!!

Most people say leave the last X amount of beer in the bottle but what I do for a pale style ale is to slowly pour until I see the sediment approaching the mouth of the bottle and then stop. I don't like to waste a drop! Of course with darker beers this isn't possible so then I just leave a half ounce or so.

Eric

I tilt the glass and leave a little in the bottom of the bottle. I've drank straight from the bottle before when I didn't have a glass. It's not the end of the world but I like to let the beer breathe a little in a glass.

just pour it carefully and leave about an inch in the bottle. The important thing is not to move the bottle around a lot before you pour, cheers!!!!

AN INCH?!?!?

Dude, are you crazy? An inch in a standard bottle is a lot of beer.

Try half a centimeter...

For me it depends on the yeast. If it's a very flocculant yeast I can usually pour like I would any other beer with no sediment in the glass. Anything else and I have to do the "homebrew pour." I usually leave a quarter inch or so.

Always pour in glass. But every batch I make, I try one out of the bottle to see if there's any difference

I use 650ml (24oz.) bottles so when pouring into a pint glass I pours the first glass clear and slow and then after a few sips it dump the rest in yeast and all. Both ways are great as long as the brew is a good one.

I use mostly Nottingham yeast and after a month conditioning I get a full pour with no sediment.

Angled glass pour with most normally carbonated brews but with some English style ales that are on the real low end of the stick I splash a bit into the glass to get a nice layer of foam (like using a sparkler).

omo

bosco

I need to pour mine slowly with glass tilted or it bubbles over. Is that normal for home-brewed or do I have a carb problem?

I use a bottling wand and don't get much trub at all in my bottles. Maybe the last two. But I don;t waste it....I pour every drop every time and I love it. The minimal cloudiness doesn't bother me a bit. If I'm giving a HB to one of my friends, I try to keep it super clear for them but for me, I drink it all. It bothers me that others waste a 1/4 inch of their beer but....it is their beer to waste.

The redneck in me prefers drinking straight out of the bottle. He's very overbearing so I listen to him.

petie said:
The redneck in me prefers drinking straight out of the bottle. He's very overbearing so I listen to him.

Gotta pour it into a glass! Can't fully appreciate it with the bottle constricting the aromas of your brew! A large percentage of taste is smell! XP

Wings_Fan_In_KC said:
I use a bottling wand and don't get much trub at all in my bottles. Maybe the last two. But I don;t waste it....I pour every drop every time and I love it. The minimal cloudiness doesn't bother me a bit. If I'm giving a HB to one of my friends, I try to keep it super clear for them but for me, I drink it all. It bothers me that others waste a 1/4 inch of their beer but....it is their beer to waste.

It's not a waste if its purpose is to keep undesirables out of the beer. For the vast majority of styles, the aroma and flavor of yeast decidedly does not compliment the beer. If you haven't already, I encourage you to, just once, "waste" a 1/4 inch and see how you like it. If you have and still prefer your way, then please ignore. Cheers!

Jaehnig said:
Gotta pour it into a glass! Can't fully appreciate it with the bottle constricting the aromas of your brew! A large percentage of taste is smell! XP

Sorry man the redneck is demanding the bottle with the coozy that reads"this is the part where I nod and pretend to care".

Although I might be able to convince him to drink out of one of these.

image-3144370197.jpg

Me and my overbearing redneck subconscious talked it over and we agreed definetly a mason jar with a stem. Classy! Or possibly one of these:

image-4147228473.jpg

petie said:
Sorry man the redneck is demanding the bottle with the coozy that reads"this is the part where I nod and pretend to care".

Although I might be able to convince him to drink out of one of these.

All about your level of beer geek I suppose.

Bottle. Not leaving a drop in there. I'm rather annoyed when other people do that with BMCs and then I have to drain every stinking can before I can crush them. Besides' yeast is good for the digestive track. Or somthing like that. Cheers :drunk:

Not sure anyone drinking a BMC knows that some beer may have active yeast, and to leave a bit in the bottom. And if they do know that, then they are way mistaken thinking there is active yeast in the bottom of their BMC.

Not sure anyone drinking a BMC knows that some beer may have active yeast, and to leave a bit in the bottom. And if they do know that, then they are way mistaken thinking there is active yeast in the bottom of their BMC.

They don't do it because of yeast but because they can't stomach the bottom of their beer once it warms a little. If it isn't sub-zero to them it can't be enjoyed. So they waste it and I find that most annoying. Poor beer never did anything but wanting to be drank and there they are wasting it. Shame really.

To each his own gentlemen/women. As I said before it can all be related to your level of beer geek.

I do, however, think it all should be enjoyed. And not in a bottle ;)

I like the English Ale glasses because you can pour it to the side and then finish right down the middle, get a nice looking head (better than the pic) w/o worrying about a spill (the bubble seems to contain it). Releasing the CO2 will help with the flavor and aroma.

I pour until I see a "chunk" or two go in and then stop. Most of the time there is no sediment but the few times there has been some it will fall to to bottom and only compromise the last sip. Us-05 and wlp-080, my main house strains, seem to flock well and set up fairly hard.

AndrewD said:
Hybrid Pour:
1/3 Down the side, final 2/3 into the middle of the glass like the pros, leaving as much sediment in the bottle as I can.

This is what I do also. Pouring down the middle for the last part really presents a good head and opens up the beer so to speak.

Jaehnig said:
To each his own gentlemen/women. As I said before it can all be related to your level of beer geek.

I do, however, think it all should be enjoyed. And not in a bottle ;)

I've found that I enjoy it more out of a bottle because it seems like when I put it in a glass the funnel in my throat opens and it's gone in about 3 drinks.

AndrewD said:
Hybrid Pour:
1/3 Down the side, final 2/3 into the middle of the glass like the pros, leaving as much sediment in the bottle as I can.

^
This is what I do as well. The beer finishes nicely in the glass.
I LOVE BEER!!!

I do both. I don't mind drinking out of the bottles at all. Especially when I take it to friends houses and such.

I do consider myself a beer snob as I generally don't do the BMC's unless I'm at a concert, but I'm not ocd to the point that I have to have a glass to drink the beer out of or even to the point of having to have different styles of glasses to drink different beers. I have my traditional English pint glasses and that's all I need... :mug:

Always in a glass.

For head purposes, my default is the same as with any beer, basically the 1/3 - 2/3 rule described above. However, once I get to know a beer, I may modify that. For a lightly carbed beer, which most of mine have been, a brief splash in the bottom first helps get the CO2 release going.

For sediment prevention, I pour until I see sediment approaching the end of the bottle, then stop. I take care to limit the amount of sediment that goes into the bottles, so often this is 1/4 inch or so. With dark beers, I don't worry about it at all. There's yet to be enough sediment to have any significant impact on the taste. The only exception was in a batch of hard cider, where the yeast gave it a pronounced flavor, maybe diacetyl-ish, I don't recall exactly. It wasn't a bad flavor, it was a pleasant alternative to the dryness that came when there was no sediment, but it clouded up the otherwise crystal clear cider.

As for the excess left in the bottle, come on guys. Whether it's 1/4 inch or 1 inch, just drink it out of the bottle. No waste of beer, no waste of B-vitamins, and no cloudy beer. (As I said, though, I have had very good control over the sediment, so it's really just been yeast which is not unpalatable; I've had some homebrews that clearly had some actual trub proteins in the bottom... I'm more hesitant to drink that.)

I generally don't do the BMC's unless I'm at a concert,

I went with my wife to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers a few weeks ago. I usually go to smaller shows at places with a full bar, but I was surprised that there were a few different microbrews widely available at the arena show. Granted I paid about 14 bucks for 24 oz of SN Pale Ale (3 times!), it was nice to get decent beer at a large venue. Times are changin'

Latest posts

Back