Vanoco Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirspongy

Reaction score
So I have this 'Vanoco Oatmeal Stout' bottle conditioning for four days so far. I wanted to give it a taste and see how the carbonation is going. I cracked one open and poured it into a clear glass. Not too much head. There is a noticeable amount of residue in the bottom of the bottle, as well in all the bottles from what I can see. The smell is amazing. A lot of caramel smell. Smells like a perfect Oatmeal stout. When I taste it it is smooth but not much taste to it at all. Nothing bad but just really no taste. It started at 1.044 and ended at 1.010 so I know there is alcohol in there. I even let my girlfriend, who hates all beer taste, try it and she said pretty much what I was thinking, nice caramel smell but not a lot of taste to it. From what I understand about "green beer" it is usually a strong malt or hoppy taste to it, not a lack of taste. Is there a possibility that this "green beer" will gain some taste to it in a few weeks? I would provide the recipe if I had it on hand but I do not. I did add 4 ounces of cocoa powder to the boil and then 1 ounce of vanilla extract to the secondary. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Back