Are IBU estimates in recipes (i.e. 5 gallons) only for a full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the IBU estimate in a recipe (which are usually 5 gallon recipes) is only for a full 5 gallon boil (associated with the 5 gallon recipe)? If so are a lot of people brewing beer out there that they think is 30-50% less hop bitter than they think?

It depends on the recipe. Usually, they assume a full-volume boil, though. However, you can easily compensate for this by doing a late extract addition. That is, if you can only boil, say, 2.5 (final) gallons of wort, split your extract by 50%, add the full hops according to the recipe, and then add the rest of the extract at the end of the boil.

Unless the recipe says something else, assume a full boil. Partial boil recipes almost always say that.

I'm wondering if the IBU estimate in a recipe (which are usually 5 gallon recipes) is only for a full 5 gallon boil (associated with the 5 gallon recipe)? If so are a lot of people brewing beer out there that they think is 30-50% less hop bitter than they think?

I think IBUs are based off of final volume, not boil volume. Shouldn't matter how much water the bitterness is being boiled into (to a point), just how much it ends up in.

EDIT: Just checked Beersmith, and I am totally wrong...interesting...

EDIT: Just checked Beersmith, and I am totally wrong...interesting...

Right...I'm still a newby, but read a ton and I didn't know this until I saw some specific talk about it here (hence the question).

I wonder if there is a way to calculate boil off?

Back