"Oh, I don't like dark beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't try to please those who drink BMC. I let them drink their BMC and make silly comments about how "DARK" or "BITTER" my craft brews are.

Same as when I am eating my delicious Indian food and have to listen to people comment on how "SPICY" it is and how bad my stomach is going to hurt afterwards.

Ignorance is bliss, to some.

Apparently she drinks what she thinks she likes...not what she actually likes.

Feel bad for you...I'm sure this is the tip of the iceberg as far as irrational BS this woman puts you through.

Actually that's the extent of her irrationality. She's the one that bought me my 12 gallon stainless conical, put together a 10 day beer vacation to Belgium and 2 longer trips to Germany. By next summer she'll have given me the money for a 30' X 50' brewshed/man cave. I thinks she's actually pretty rational except that she has a visual hangup with the color of beer. I can live with that.

I don't try to please those who drink BMC. I let them drink their BMC and make silly comments about how "DARK" or "BITTER" my craft brews are.

Same as when I am eating my delicious Indian food and have to listen to people comment on how "SPICY" it is and how bad my stomach is going to hurt afterwards.

Ignorance is bliss, to some.

So, what's the best beer to accompany Indian food? I'm a huge fan of lamb vindaloo and chicken biryani and I'm still floundering to find the perfect match. Guiness had a "dead" feel, Two-Hearted was close but the hops aroma and the spices didn't mingle well. The place I go to has slim pickings on beer varieties, so it's turning out to be a challenge. Maybe an ESB?

Actually that's the extent of her irrationality. She's the one that bought me my 12 gallon stainless conical, put together a 10 day beer vacation to Belgium and 2 longer trips to Germany. By next summer she'll have given me the money for a 30' X 50' brewshed/man cave. I thinks she's actually pretty rational except that she has a visual hangup with the color of beer. I can live with that.

:D All of that sounds pretty irrational to me. Good job!!! Keep her!

So, what's the best beer to accompany Indian food? I'm a huge fan of lamb vindaloo and chicken biryani and I'm still floundering to find the perfect match. Guiness had a "dead" feel, Two-Hearted was close but the hops aroma and the spices didn't mingle well. The place I go to has slim pickings on beer varieties, so it's turning out to be a challenge. Maybe an ESB?

I personally enjoy high IBU IPA's with my Indian food. Next time I get it, I'm going to get a CDA/Black IPA to try out with it. You were close with the Two-Hearted if you ask me, but that's a sweet IPA. Try a really dry, bitter IPA instead. MMM!

ESB wouldn't be a bad choice, but the robust spices in your food might overwhelm anything you get out of your beer. Who knows! Never tried myself.

Maybe BMC drinkers are not the people we should aim to convert. In my experience they are too used to what in their opinion beer should taste like. So far the only people I've 'convert' are chaps who claimed that they didn't like beer at all. For example a friend of mine when he discovered that I make beer told me that "Your equipment looks cool but I don't like any beer and I've tried at least 15" after that I gave him an IPA. His face changed when he was drinking it and then said "wow I didn't know that beer could taste like this, let me buy you a 4 pack".

I love when something like this happens to me, I feel proud :)

I personally enjoy high IBU IPA's with my Indian food. Next time I get it, I'm going to get a CDA/Black IPA to try out with it. You were close with the Two-Hearted if you ask me, but that's a sweet IPA. Try a really dry, bitter IPA instead. MMM!

ESB wouldn't be a bad choice, but the robust spices in your food might overwhelm anything you get out of your beer. Who knows! Never tried myself.

STA Monkeynaut IPA would probably be a good one then. Hopefully they'll have it available.

Maybe BMC drinkers are not the people we should aim to convert. In my experience they are too used to what in their opinion beer should taste like. So far the only people I've 'convert' are chaps who claimed that they didn't like beer at all. For example a friend of mine when he discovered that I make beer told me that "Your equipment looks cool but I don't like any beer and I've tried at least 15" after that I gave him an IPA. His face changed when he was drinking it and then said "wow I didn't know that beer could taste like this, let me buy you a 4 pack".

I love when something like this happens to me, I feel proud :)

There is some truth in this.

My dad is ridiculous about wine, maybe more ridiculous than me about beer(but probably not).
He would drink a little beer, the occasional blue moon and shock top. I used gumballhead for his gateway beer and lately I have been blowing his mind with some of the hop bombs I have been brewing. Every time he tastes a beer of mine he says "you have really changed my beer tastes"

I actually started homebrewing because I thought those commercial light lager that I used to drink in my country (the same crap as BMC) was to bitter. When I started brewing my own beers I realized that the bitterness was not the case but that ****ty aftertaste these commercial lagers leave in your mouth. After some two years of brewing I'm simply crazy about hops (Cascade , for example). I brew beers with at least 35 to 45 IBUs for everyday drinking. My palate has changed a lot and I simply can't drink commercial beers anymore except for some Belgians and Chech beer (Urquell or Kozel for example) and the beers of my fellow homebrewers.

I quit drinking beer for years because I didn't like what BMC was selling.
After I tried some of "those dark beers" I started drinking beer again.

There is some truth in this.

My dad is ridiculous about wine, maybe more ridiculous than me about beer(but probably not).
He would drink a little beer, the occasional blue moon and shock top. I used gumballhead for his gateway beer and lately I have been blowing his mind with some of the hop bombs I have been brewing. Every time he tastes a beer of mine he says "you have really changed my beer tastes"

My dad is the same! He is now the biggest fan of my beer. :D

I'm still not liking dark beers, but had a home brewed Baltic porter last night that wasn't bad at all.

I would say a dark beer is anything darker than 20 SRM, but I think some people might say it's anything darker than 15.

I honestly think a lot of non-craft beer drinkers would call anything darker than 10 SRM a dark beer. But besides that, all dark beers did not get dark in the same way. The flavors that come with roasted barley or other dark roasted malts is a lot different than using a bunch of crystal 60 to get a beer dark.

Saying "dark beer" is like saying "wet food" in that it doesn't say a whole lot about the beer.

:ban:get to keg my "Blacker than YOUR soul" EXTRA stout tonight:ban:

I try to brew them SO black that my buddies don't just swill them down.;)

(of course I have a cheap PALE pale ale on tap for the weenies)

ludomonster said:
I would say a dark beer is anything darker than 20 SRM, but I think some people might say it's anything darker than 15.

I've had people say that my 10 srm New Zealand ESB is realy dark

Beer drinkers or not, light beer only lovers, etc everyone I've had try my Weizenbock has loved it, except for one person. That person is my brother. He took one sip last Thanksgiving, made a face and said, "Bleh... too many flavors" LMAO. It doesn't have too many different competing flavors, it's just full flavored. But, this is coming from a self confessed Rolling Rock drinker so I guess what else would I expect!?

Rev.

Funny thing happened last week, my dad came over and wanted to try a homebrew. After telling him I had some pale ales he goes "oh....I don't really like that kind, I only like dark beers..."

Needless to say, I scrounged up an oktoberfest but I thought it was kinda funny.

Funny thing happened last week, my dad came over and wanted to try a homebrew. After telling him I had some pale ales he goes "oh....I don't really like that kind, I only like dark beers..."

Needless to say, I scrounged up an oktoberfest but I thought it was kinda funny.

HA HA! That's awesome.

Someone saying that they like beer but not dark beer, is about the same as someone saying that they like wine, but only white zinfandel......

White Zinfandel is wine for people that actually don't like wine but want to look like they do.

(I know I sound like a snob, but it is honestly only because I am better than most people)

cheezydemon3 said:
HA HA! That's awesome.

Someone saying that they like beer but not dark beer, is about the same as someone saying that they like wine, but only white zinfandel......

White Zinfandel is wine for people that actually don't like wine but want to look like they do.

(I know I sound like a snob, but it is honestly only because I am better than most people)

Nice, that's why I drink white zinfandel. :) In the words of the great John Hodgmen "Rosea wine is the ambiguous wine for ambiguous people" (or something like that)

rawkstar320 said:
Nice, that's why I drink white zinfandel. :) In the words of the great John Hodgmen "Rosea wine is the ambiguous wine for ambiguous people" (or something like that)

Thought that was merlot.

Whattawort said:
Thought that was merlot.

No, it was the "pink" wines because they are neither red nor white. it's possible that I have it wrong as I have only listened to him describe this section, I do not have the book....yet.

I remember drinking white zinfandel when I was 19 at an Italian restaurant in the north end in Boston. Didn't get carded, and that's what the gf at the time wanted. Waaaaay before my (good) beer drinking days. I cant stand the stuff now,.too sweet.
I had a nice founders breakfast stout last night. That was nice and dark.

OK beer snobs. If I change my statement from "I don't like dark beers" to "I don't like stouts" is that acceptable?
Porters are growing on me. I'm really liking Dunkelweisses (is that the correct plural?). But stouts taste burnt, I send thigs back that are burnt at a restaurant, or throw them away if I burn them at home.

So, beer snob community: Is it OK for me to say "I don't like stouts"?
(Do not answer "drink what you like", because that shows you are not part of the beer snob community, and so I'm not asking you)

OK beer snobs. If I change my statement from "I don't like dark beers" to "I don't like stouts" is that acceptable?
Porters are growing on me. I'm really liking Dunkelweisses (is that the correct plural?). But stouts taste burnt, I send thigs back that are burnt at a restaurant, or throw them away if I burn them at home.

(Do not answer "drink what you like", because that shows you are not part of the beer snob community, and so I'm not asking you)

Nope... Banned!! Delete your account and leave that nonsense out of here!! :cross:

HOw many stouts have you tried, maybe you got a bad one?? I love the roasty, chocolate, coffee goodness...mmmm

I think it'd be more accurate to say you don't tend to like stouts. It would be far more accurate if you said that you didn't like stouts that have a roasted flavor (roasted barley might be what you don't like). It'd be the best if you just said you didn't like beers you've actually tried. I don't say, "I don't like adjunct lagers" because there might be one out there that I do like, so grouping them all together just because I don't like the 7-8 I've tried, is a bit lazy.

This is me. After one glass, I am like why the f do people drink wine? After two glasses, I am like eh, not bad. After one bottle, I am like this is some good sh*t, lets open another one! :ban:

My wife usually drinks red, so I get the bottle to myself, and it is never good after its been in the fridge open so I figure I better finish it off.

This is me. After one glass, I am like why the f do people drink wine? After two glasses, I am like eh, not bad. After one bottle, I am like this is some good sh*t, lets open another one! :ban:

My wife usually drinks red, so I get the bottle to myself, and it is never good after its been in the fridge open so I figure I better finish it off.

You realize that White Zinfandel is the budweiser of wine.

Perhaps if you drank some "real wine" you would enjoy it.

Please surrender your brewing card and exit out that door. If you have beer fermenting or cellaring, that too must be surrendered to the community.

In all seriousness, I would suggest trying a Terrapin Wake 'N Bake if you can get your hands on one. It's probably the best example of a big coffee stout that I've found. If the ABV wasn't so high, I could probably take care of 3 or 4 of 'em in a single session.

Let me preface this statement with the fact that I love me some stouts and porters.

But I've always thought the black malt in porters lent more of a burnt flavor than the roast malt does in stouts. If you're getting a burnt flavor in stouts, 1) you might just not have a pallette that appreciates stouts, in which case you pallette's wrong and you should be ashamed, or 2) you've tried some lousy-assed stouts.

I'm hoping for 2).

stratslinger said:
Let me preface this statement with the fact that I love me some stouts and porters.

But I've always thought the black malt in porters lent more of a burnt flavor than the roast malt does in stouts. If you're getting a burnt flavor in stouts, 1) you might just not have a pallette that appreciates stouts, in which case you pallette's wrong and you should be ashamed, or 2) you've tried some lousy-assed stouts.

I'm hoping for 2).

(1) is perfect, probably opening a big can if worms, but I'm interested in responses. Scientifically speaking, it is possible that someone could find it impossible to like ANY dark porter or stout. I believe the term is "super taster" but this makes someone ultra sensitive to flavor and often find those flavors overwhelming. Of course, I would imagine these people also find "light" beers with lots of hop flavor over powering as well.

Not entirely in line with the original question, but something to consider.

I find it surprising that there's such a perception of snobbery within HBT. I don't know who said it, but I think I saw it here: "a beer geek is someone who cares about what they're drinking; a beer snob is someone who cares about what you're drinking."

On the other hand, I'm also surprised that anyone here can say they hate a style. "Can't appreciate" seems like a better descriptor. I can't appreciate a good dunkelweizen because the only one I've had wasn't great and wasn't to style (Newport Storm). On the other hand, I just learned to appreciate good sour beers by trying some 5-6 great examples.

The problem with hating a style of beer is the same problem people who "don't like dark beer" have. They have preconceived notions about what they'll get with a dark beer.

I find it surprising that there's such a perception of snobbery within HBT. I don't know who said it, but I think I saw it here: "a beer geek is someone who cares about what they're drinking; a beer snob is someone who cares about what you're drinking."

On the other hand, I'm also surprised that anyone here can say they hate a style.

The problem with hating a style of beer is the same problem people who "don't like dark beer" have. They have preconceived notions about what they'll get with a dark beer.

I can categorically affirm that I hate pumpkin beers. I've tried a bunch of them, just can't drink them. Somebody mentioned Wake and Bake, that's another beer I just don't get.
The problem with hating dark beers is that there are so many styles that are dark but unrelated to each other. Dunkel is basically a dark colored helles, there is very little , if any, roasted malt taste to it. Served in an opaque glass or to a blindfolded person I bet few people would ever guess it's a dark beer. Comparing dunkel to stout is like comparing Saison Dupont to Bud Light because they're about the same color.

Back