Barley Wine With Wine Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
I have only had a few barley wines, but those that I have had have always been a bit cloying. I know that there are ways to dry out a recipe with simple sugars, but I was wondering if anyone had tried making a highly alcoholic beer using a wine yeast instead of a beer yeast. I understand that a high FG is part of the barley wine style, im not trying to make a traditional barley wine. Any opinions on what yeast to use and ideas about the grain bill?

1. Try a lower mashing termp.
2. Use S-05, or WLP001, or similiar yeast that has fermented a pale or amber. (cake)
3. Grain bills can be up to 28-30 lbs.

You can go ahead and use wine yeast but unless you're getting up to 15% or so in alcohol, you're not likely to be running out of the range that the chico strain (WLP001) and Nottingham are likely to get you.

In the meantime, go ahead and pitch some Montrachet or Pasteur and see where it gets you - they'll certainly dry you out and it could be really good. Go for it. Your LHBS, if they do anything with wine, should have some dried yeast for $0.99 or something.

I fermented a 1.118 barleywine down to 1.024 in 6 days by pitching on the yeast cake left over from an American Amber. The wort was made from 28lbs of Marris mashed at 150F and one pound of table sugar.

Latest posts

Back