Why a tower on a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Is there a reason to put a tower on a kegerator?

Is there a reason not to mount the spouts in the door?

It really depends on if you're using a chest freezer, fridge or dorm fridge. Dorm fridge you probably want a tower, otherwise you'll be on your knees pouring a beer. A chest freezer you can do either a tower or build a collar. For a regular fridge, thru the door probably makes the most sense.

My fridge barley holds 2 corneys, even after modification. I wouldn't be able to mount them in the door and have it close properly.

Just converting an Oster, tower is the only way to go. Keezer I would have definitely went through the collar.

The thing with a tower is that you have to find a way to keep it cool as well. Lot's of folks here install small computer type fans to blow the cold air up. I had always thought that was a waste of time. Only takes a couple of secs to pour your brew from the kegerator with a cobra tap. Also, at least to me, the cobra tap is a lot easier to clean then the brew lines running inside the tower.

The thing with a tower is that you have to find a way to keep it cool as well.

I had planned on setting up a tower cooling fan with the Keezer, but it really doesn't need it. The amount of fluid in the lines from the top of the freezer to the tap is so small, that by the time you have pulled a full pint, it's plenty cool. I doubt I'll ever bother with the cooling fan.

I had planned on setting up a tower cooling fan with the Keezer, but it really doesn't need it. The amount of fluid in the lines from the top of the freezer to the tap is so small, that by the time you have pulled a full pint, it's plenty cool. I doubt I'll ever bother with the cooling fan.

Yeah, mine isn't cooled and it's not an issue at all. The fact that the tap is warm on the first pull is more of an issue. But that's an issue any way you go.

Three reasons for using a tower: Cats, children, drunks. Since I don't any of these around, my taps are on the collar.

If it is a standard "kegerator", ie mini fridge, wouldn't taps through the door be way to low? Unless your a midget, that is....

No offense to our little people friends...

I would think taps on the front of a minifridge would make your back hurt from having to stoop ever so slightly to fill your beer.

Back