Re-Carbonating Flat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stew!Brew!

Reaction score
So I just came up on a half filled, keg of Eel River IPA however it had already been tapped and is a couple days old. But.....good beer is good beer and I kegged it with my equipment but it is flat. Can I recarbonate it with Corn sugar? And if so would it be wise to do the normal 1/3 cup? Also how can I get this beer carbonated as quick as posible? -thank you

If it has been tapped with a hand pump, it will have been exposed to oxygen and will begin to deteriorate rather quickly. By now, you would be able to notice significant defects.

If it has not been exposed to air, it should be fine. Just hook it up to your CO2 and it will recarbonate all on it's own. To speed up the process, just crank the psi to 30 for a day.

Well yeah it has been exposed to air. However I still want to drink it....and so do my roomates. So can I just re-carb it still? to try and freshen it up? It is a little off, but it is still good beer.

if you have some corny kegs and CO2 then yes, transfer and hit that sucker with some CO2. Like kenche said, 12-14psi for a week or 30-35 for a day or two. Your mileage may vary based depending on the type of brew and the temp you carb at.

Yuck. I've tried drinking some Yuengling that was tapped only 30 hours previously and thought it was disgustingly oxidized. Make sure the beer is cold and hit it with 40psi overnight. It will carb again. Corn sugar? No, the yeast are probably gone.

Hit the beer with CO2 and make sure to purge any air in that keg to get the O2 out of the container.

It'll be beer but it might not be the greatest.

Whoops..I guess I wasnt clear about the corn sugar and was under the impression to add it. And I did. O well.....I added a 1/3 cup and its been at 30 psi for almost a day. Does this mean it will be over carbonated?

Latest posts

Back