Enough Priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daum

Reaction score
Hey guys-
I don't want to go all the way to the beer store today, but want to bottle I have a batch of beer(5g) from about march, then a batch of aplewifein(~4.8g) from december(ya its old). Think about 7oz is enough priming sugar? Trying to figure this one out. If it is what do you think? Just 1/2 in each batch for bottling?
Daum

Promash says its about 3.5 volumes of co2 if you used it in one 5 gallon batch. thats medium-high carbonation for one of those batches but if you split it you'd have pretty low carbonation in both batches, If I were in your position id just bottle one of them today and hold off until I got more priming sugar for the other. maybe the solution is to bottle the beer with 2/3 of the sugar then bottle one half of the apfelwien still and add the remaining sugar to the last half of the apfelwein that way you dont get under carbonated anything.

You could use table sugar to fill in the discrepancy with no problem. Some say it gives a cidery flavor, but the amount you're using would be insignificant anyway. If it bothers you, use the table sugar in the apfelwein, which is, well, cider.

Latest posts

Back