Crushing grain without a mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
I have about 8 oz of specialty grain that I need to crush without a mill. It's going to be part of ~5 lbs in a PM recipe so if it shouldn't cause any problems if it's crushed to fine.

I've read about using a rolling pin and that may work since I have a large, heavy marble rolling pin. Also, read somewhere about using a blender or a food processor very, very gently. Anyone have any tips on how to do it?

jest 8oz, go for it with that rolling pin.
on our 1st allgrain batch with 10.5lbs, we used cookie sheats and wine bottles.

Yea don't start me on that. It was a LHBS that would only sell me 1 lb bags for specialties.

When I started all grain, I put a small amount in a ziplock bag, and attacked it wait a rolling pin. This didn't crush it fine enough, but I made fine adjustments with a framing hammer. Next week, I bought a grain mill.

-a.

Back when I did extract + steeping grains, I made the mistake of not ordering milled grain. It's a PITA, but I ended up tossing it in a ziplock bag and using a Rogue Mocha Porter bottle and my countertop.

I did it with ziploc bags and a rolling pin cuz my LHBS's grain mill is not on the premises (you phone in your order and pick up a day later).

it'll ruin the ziploc bag, and put gouges into a cheap wood rolling pin. the marble should work well for now.

I love my barley crusher.

Hi guys I'm also having this problem. I'm planning on doing a small tester batch as I'm new to AGB. Would a 100% pale malt work if I used a pepper mill to crush the grains or would the chunks be too small?

Hi guys I'm also having this problem. I'm planning on doing a small tester batch as I'm new to AGB. Would a 100% pale malt work if I used a pepper mill to crush the grains or would the chunks be too small?

It would crush it too fine. The mills generally just crack the husk...you want the husk to be pretty intact to help with lautering.

I must have it too good. I email my grain list to my LHBS and they usually have it crushed, ready and waiting for me when I come in.

1/8 pound Carapils
1/8 pound Crystal 10L
1/4 pound Chocolate Malt (British)
1/2 pound Roasted Barley Malt (British)
3 pounds Muntons DME - Light

I pay for it by the pound so 1/8 of Crystal 10L crushed goes for $0.50.

ScrewyBrewer, does that mean you are paying $4.00 per pound for crushed 10L crystal?
If so, you're getting seriously ripped off.
In PDX I'm paying $1.25/lb for that grain and using the mill the LHBS has for free. Plus, it is $1.00 for 2 row.

Back