What makes your pumpkin beer special?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
find Reno_eNVy's pumpkin ale recipe. Mash with pumpkin in the grist, add pumpkin pie spice to the boil, pretty easy, just strike a bit higher as the pumpkin will bring the initial mash temp down some.

Some people boil the pumpkin, others put it in secondary. You won't really taste it as much as get some squashiness to the mouthfeel.

I like to mash and boil with it,but maybe I really preferr to just mash with it really. Also I havent tried fresh uncanned nor have I tried squash or sweet potato that people swear by either. Iwill try both sometime. I made a wheat brown which didnt turn out like I wished it had but was ok. Didnt care to use the t-58 yeast either,Ill stick with dry o5-04 probably. Honestly my best may have been my first which was sortof a two hearted ale base extract with amber/wheat extract but with a small amount of wheat and 04-06 yeast also.

Every year I brew a pumpkin, every year I don't enjoy it. This year I finally found something to make me like pumpkin beer, I drowned it in enough bourbon infused oak that I couldn't taste the pumpkin.

Wyeast Dennys fav 50 yeast. If you use anything else you are seriously just wasting your time. I have tried the same brew with 4 different strains and the DF50 is the best hands down. (unless it is a yeast specific brew like a wit or Belgian.)

The fast turnaround time due to using a "session series" brown from AHS, how effing DARK it turned out, the extra cinnamon I put in (last 2 reasons why I call it Cinnister Punkin Ale), the fact that I made it, and the fact that not one person (BMC drinkers or otherwise) have not liked it. And it's the second batch I ever brewed. My confidence needs a blow off tube!!!

But seriously, I have to thank the people and advisers that have posted so much info before I ever dreamed of brewing myself. Thanks again guys and gals!!

I used a english brown ale as a base and boiled down 2 big cans of pumpkin, strained it and added the spices. Then I Poured in the juice after the boil. Its in the fermenter now, so I havent tasted it but it smells wonderful. LOL

Back