Ipa help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentl1jb

Reaction score
Just ordered my second kit today. It is an ipa from adventures of home brewing. We're gonna put some honey in it to raise the abv. When should we add it?

bentl1jb said:
Just ordered my second kit today. It is an ipa from adventures of home brewing. We're gonna put some honey in it to raise the abv. When should we add it?

You can add honey at flameout or during active fermentation.

That being said honey also raises the ABv and drys the beer out. In changing the construction of the recipe you are not taking into account the overall balance intended. IMO you don't add the honey:)

duboman said:
You can add honey at flameout or during active fermentation.

That being said honey also raises the ABv and drys the beer out. In changing the construction of the recipe you are not taking into account the overall balance intended. IMO you don't add the honey:)

Thanks a lot. Just thought I might give it a shot because the guy I talked to at the adventures of home brew said that he thinks that's what bells does to make hopslam which is my all time favorite. I appreciate the response!

I like my IPA's on the drier side because it helps the hops shine through IMHO. That said, if the kit you have already calls for sugar, I wouldn't add honey on top of that. I might use honey instead of sugar, but probably not both.

Could you tell us what the original recipe is? If it had sugar in it already, I would only add more dme to it to bump the abv, and then maybe add some extra hops to balance it. Maybe use the honey for bottling?

I went to adventures and talked to them about this subject. I ended up putting two pounds of honey in my double ipa. Remember that adding honey will raise abv, as it is like 98% ferment able. Adding honey in the last 10-15 min of boil will work. But if your looking to have a more pronounced honey flavor add to your secondary. My double came out great!! Only thing was it was bitter as all hell!! 150 ibus!! But that's great cause I love my hops!!

Adding honey during high krausen in the primary will revive your yeast. When you begin fermentation your yeast will work on breaking down the complex sugars in the malt, then when you add the honey (simple sugar) your yeast will be able to break it down easier in the high alcohol environment.

sweed said:
Could you tell us what the original recipe is? If it had sugar in it already, I would only add more dme to it to bump the abv, and then maybe add some extra hops to balance it. Maybe use the honey for bottling?

It is the zythos summit ipa

Latest posts

Back