Help with Home Brew Stores in Washington

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidpl

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a Chilean and beginner in this hobby. In a couple of weeks I'll visit Washington, unfortunately I won't enough time and for that I need recommendatios of home brew stores. I've searched options in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Local_Home_Brew_Store#Washington, but I would want some experiences or opinions from the homebrewtalkers:
Considering diversity, quality and prices, wish is the best home brew store in Washington?

Thanks a lot.

Hi there and welcome.

What part of Washington will you be visiting? If you're in the South Seattle area, I highly recommend Larry's brew supply in Kent. Great people and they move a lot of product to the local breweries so the grain and hops are most always well priced and fresh. I'm in the area and wouldn't mind meeting up if you want to have a local beer and check out the store, they have done well by me in all the years I've known them.

:mug:

Definitely Larry's. Their website is horrible, but the actual store is great with fresh ingredients. Lot's of variety and fair prices. Staff is helpful, but hit or miss on knowledge.

The folks in rocky top homebrew supply in olympia are great! The store reminds me of the old austin homebrew store before they blew up.

I think the OP is using "home brew" in the place of "craft brew". Am I wrong? It seems that if he is only visiting Washington, why would he need a home brew shop? Maybe he is asking for beer stores.
-Jefe-

I think the OP is using "home brew" in the place of "craft brew". Am I wrong? It seems that if he is only visiting Washington, why would he need a home brew shop? Maybe he is asking for beer stores.
-Jefe-
He might be looking for a piece of equipment or some ingredients to take back to Chile.

-Jefe-

I'm looking for a brew store near to Washington's down town, because I want to buy a march pump, some yeast strains unavailable in my country and other nice brewing gadgets.

Anyone know if is possible transport a pump in the baggage or the Washington airpot's security has prohibited things like that?

Thaks a lot.

Has Anyone had problems, with the airport's security, to transport a brew pump in the baggage?.
Has Anyone tried something like that?.
The Transportation Security Administration's prohibited item list is too general.

Thanks a lot.

I work for the airlines and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Make sure and keep the receipt with you and give yourself some extra time to get through the TSA checkpoint. If it's just a mechanical pump, it isn't a prohibited item. However, if it has wiring showing or a weird shape, they will want to open your bag and look at it. It will just take some extra time.

I would be more concerned with the yeast strains. I'm not sure how strict Chile is with it's agricultural import policy, but I could see someone having a problem with it. I guess, worst case scenario, you have to throw away a couple yeast cultures before they'll let you go home. Probably worth the risk.

Hi there and welcome.

What part of Washington will you be visiting? If you're in the South Seattle area, I highly recommend Larry's brew supply in Kent. Great people and they move a lot of product to the local breweries so the grain and hops are most always well priced and fresh. I'm in the area and wouldn't mind meeting up if you want to have a local beer and check out the store, they have done well by me in all the years I've known them.

:mug:

Thanks Pabst, I"ll be on Washington DC and not much time. Maybe in other opportunity we could meet. I'm very grateful of your generosity.

Latest posts

Back