Monster Mills are made in the USA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsfrancis

Reaction score
First,

Let me state unequivocally that Monster Mills are MADE in the USA. Our rollers and frames are machined here in Atlanta, from materials made in the USA. Our hoppers are cut in North Dakota. I've asked my hopper manufacturer to find out where the material is made. I'm surprised that anyone would think that just because a picture of our mill was posted on a Chinese web site, that it would indicate that our mills are made in China. I've seen the site in question, and the text references a different mill altogether.

Second,

Someone has been trashing me here on HomeBrewTalk now for more than two years, and I'm sick of it. My company has been trashed, lies have been told, and misinformation has been spewed time and time again by someone about Monster Brewing Hardware, and our mills. I don't have time to read the boards, and don't follow everything that goes on here, or on the other boards, but I do check them periodically, and do search for mentions of our mills. Imagine my surprise when a past customer that I thought was dealt with fairly, and I thought was happy with their mill, starts trashing me on HomeBrewTalk, and then continues to do so for the next two years.

This kind of thing happens all the time on boards like this, and I feel that many times businesses are treated unfairly. Please realize that what you read may or may not be the truth, and that there's always two sides to any story.

Sincerely,

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

Perhaps that "someone" can post a rebuttal here. Frankly, I don't understand why "someone" hasn't handled this directly with you. I read the unedited version of your posts, and I did not see anything about a problem in them. I saw that he mistakenly thought there was a keyway instead of flats. That's it.

Thanks for updating this forum with facts regarding your mills. Facts are good.

I don't know much about either side of this particular event or customer but I will throw a few comments in as a new business around here. In cases where a customer is unhappy with the product as they received it, there are times when nothing you offer will make them happy. Bending over backwards is sometimes too little too late and I'm sure in the case of mill customers, they just want to hurry up and run some grain through it. They will keep the item they are not happy with because sending it back and waiting for the replacement is already too much trouble. However, they'll likely regret that decision after a short time and remain resentful of the whole deal. Of course I don't know that this is what happened but I'm speculating based on what I've been learning about customer service this year.

Ultimately the Internet has been a blessing and curse for vendors. There can be 5000 completely satisfied customers out there and it only takes one with a bad experience to give you more negative reviews than you deserve as a whole. Luckily I've been able to meet or exceed expectations but I'm sure I'll get nailed someday.

the problem with this "someone" is that they never even asked for a refund, replacement parts, or any such item. The last correspondence I have on file from this person was that they would press a bushing back into the knob, all was said and done, end of story, and that is it. The next thing I know, there's posts over here trashing the Monster Mill. The customer explained to me that they were and A&P mechanic, and he even listed several of the large expensive pieces of equipment that were in his shop. I figured surely that he could handle pressing in a bushing. The girl that works for me does it all the time without issue.

I edited out personal info. I was, to be sure, erring on the conservative.

Let me state unequivocally that Monster Mills are MADE in the USA.
I feel that many times businesses are treated unfairly.

These to me are the relevant parts of the discussion. HBT will not facilitate a "he said, she said" back and forth between two individual members.

You cant please every customer even with the old "cup and stroke" customer service.

Let that guy live in his negative world. Karma will get him.

only problem is that so far its only been a "she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said, she said" because I don't have time to read all these boards and defend myself.

I completely understand HBT's position and respect that. This isn't the place. I can post the whole discussion on my own site if I want or e-mail it to anyone that asks.

I was just so darn MAD. :mad:

~~fred

Seems to be a problem with forums. Satisfied customers are happy with a product, may give you a thumbs up and go about their day. Get one who perceives he/she has been treated unfairly and they want to make sure the whole world knows about it.

I have a 3 roller Monster Mill and it's great. I have nothing but good things to say about your product.

I met Fred at the NHC in Minneapolis a year ago, and as I said I was going to do, promptly purchased a 3 roller mill with the hopper and it has worked very well. The unit is solid and will outlast me!

My Monster Mill is of the 2 roller variety and its a solid well built machine that will last a long time! I have and will continue to give your products the praise it deserves for being a well built engineered mill and recommend it to all the new AGers making the mill debate.

Let me say that my wife ordered me a MM-3 last christmas. it was promptly shipped with good communication from fred. once I dialed in the adjustments I havent had to mess with it . I dump the grain in the hopper, run it through twice for good measure.

Thumbs up to Fred for a great product.

I actually contacted the Made in China knock off vendor. The email replies I got had me running scared of a scam artist. A quick goggle search of made in china seemed to indicated that there is a lot of scamming going down on that site. They also went as far as offering me a container load of ball lock (pepsi or coke!).
Could very well be legitimate but who wants to take a chance when the minimum quantity is 100 @ US$50 = US$5000
What wouldn't surprise me is if the first (good) image of malt mill on google image search is a monster mill... lets see...ok it not for me but YMMV :)

I might email them back tonight and see if they will take paypal type payment, if its Western Union only = Scam!
I'll let everyone know ;)

I had an issue with my monster mill hopper catching on the dummy roller and not spinning. I took the thing apart and built it slightly differently(directions weren't super clear) and so far it seems to be rolling fine. The crush is great but man was that frustrating for the first brew. I think the hopper plate was just cut a little too long(maybe 1/8")

<snip>...I might email them back tonight and see if they will take paypal type payment, if its Western Union only = Scam!
I'll let everyone know ;)

I think the purpose of this thread is for Fred at Monster to defend himself against wrongful accusations so that the community knows the truth. Whether you buy cheap Chinese knock-offs is of no importance here.

I've had a MM-3 for a few months now and absolutely love it. Shipped promptly, delivered exactly as ordered, and has performed completely to my expectations.

Reply to HBT members as well Mr. Fred Francis AKA "Monster Mills";

I was only reporting to HBT members my findings I found on the computer, then making an enlarged photo showing the words Monster Mill on the mill this a made in China mill of a minimum order 200 units. What would one expect reading that thread?
No attacks against Fred Francis or Monster Mill just my recent findings and postings to fellow HBT members.

Now my past experience with a Monster Mill purchase a couple years ago was not a good one, (must of got the bad or monday production unit?), I posted photos backing up the damage and my findings. Photos do not lie vs words behind a computer.

First off Mr. Francis, reply # 5, "the problem with this "someone" is that they
(must be me) never asked for a refund, replacement parts, or any such item".
This is total BS Fred dang it get your brain thinking right and not go twisting and adding words to your liking here and just speak the truth!
I was offered by you only two options, "return the damaged mill for a full refund or keep it and be happy.
BTW there was no damage to the shipping box by UPS.
I chose to keep the mill vs having nothing, I saw an item I could rework into a mill of my liking, I needed the rollers and eccentrics.
My free labor and machining on my part called live and learn.

Reply #4, NEVER, NEVER DID YOU EVER OFFER TO REPLACE JUST THE DAMAGED PARTS!
Your now mentioning this, wow how you have changed your tune, just think a couple aluminum end plates replaced and I would of been a happy customer instead of you standing your ground with keep or return money back attitude.
Aluminum end plates scored up as in photos posted on HBT a couple years ago, proof no BS on my part from NIB!
I would of been more than happy and also bragged about your good customer service with replacing those damaged end plates. The bushings no worries I already planned on replacing them and reamed to much tighter specs.

Reply #3 Bobby_M, "times when nothing you offer will make them happy".
In my case I would of been more than happy even understanding production ups and downs limits but not a damaged mill with no support or way to resolve the problem.
Not even returning the damaged items, no BS from my end photos as proof.

Passedpawn reply #2, I tried to handle my damaged mill problem directly with Fred, keep it or return it for a full refund were my only offerings.

Boerderij Kabouter, yes I admit i'm crazy, hell I own 9 motorcycles and a De Lorean with zero miles. Define what's normal?

My reply, sorry HBT members if I offended your thinking or opinions all I wanted to do is mention what I found in the latest mill offerings now coming from China.
Just think dealing with China should you have a product part problem vs just here in the USA?
Prost.
Carl

I was only reporting on HBT my findings found on the computer, taking an enlarged photo shows the wording Monster Mill this a made in China mill minimum orders 200 units. What would one expect reading that thread?
Oh, it all makes sense now. You found it on the internet, so it must be true! :rolleyes: I think you were in the minority and most people were thinking that someone in China was trying to offer a knock-off of the Monster Mill. Hell, I'll bet you those Chinese sites show products they've never even built. They just wait until someone orders 200 of them and then they clone it.

Oh, it all makes sense now. You found it on the internet, so it must be true! :rolleyes: I think you were in the minority and most people were thinking that someone in China was trying to offer a knock-off of the Monster Mill. Hell, I'll bet you those Chinese sites show products they've never even built. They just wait until someone orders 200 of them and then they clone it.

That was kind of the point I was trying to make, except I don't think they would even bother cloning it.

Basically a scam that goes like this:
You - Cool, I would like to order your minimum quantity of mills at 200 units @ $50 a pop. Here's $10,000 via western union.
Them - Thank you kind sir, we have started production and your mills will be shipped in 10 days.

...14 days later...

You - Hello, I was wondering how the mills were going. Have they been shipped yet?
You - Hello?
You - Hello?
You - ****!!!!!!!

Beemer....show me the e-mail that you sent to me where you EVER asked me to replace parts...post it right here. NOW!! I can't read your mind. If you refute this fact, I can post your last two e-mails right here on this board for everyone to see, and they'll realize that you are not telling the truth. The reality is the only place you've bitched about this mill is on THIS board. The last two e-mails that I ever got from you were that you would press the bushing back in, and everything was OK. Its only in your mind!!!!!!!! I send out replacement parts when folks request them, or there's a problem that can't be resolved. It only makes sense. The only issue with your mill that you ever brought up to me was the bushing press, and that's IT. You told me you were an A&P mechanic, and listed all the equipment you have in your shop...enough btw that you could have BUILT the mill yourself. I thought, surely this guy can press the bushing back in. If you couldn't or didn't want to, all you had to do was ask for a replacement part...which you NEVER DID. ALL of your complaining was on this board. You never even gave me a chance to resolve your problem. At this point, I suppose there's nothing I can do. Are you still using the mill? Why can't you let this go? It's been TWO freaking two years....

Its also funny that you don't mention that your mill was a special order with no flats on the drive shaft that we made for you for no extra $$. Granted its not a big deal to leave them off, but I still had to have it done that way especially for you, and it took me time. You also don't mention the 15 e-mails you sent, asking questions that I answered one by one to help you.

What the heck was I supposed to do? Note to everyone on this board....if you have a problem with a dealer, or a dealers products...ASK them for what you want. They are reasonable people, and will help you out. Don't expect them to read your mind and determine what you want. TELL them what you want. If after asking for what you want to resolve the issue, you don't get what you want, THEN you can ***** on the board about the dealer. I ALWAYS honor any reasonable request, and can't even remember an instance where I didn't do for a customer exactly what they ASKED for, as long as it was reasonable. I did have one customer that wanted a refund for a mill that he was unwilling to send back to me. Is that reasonable? You, Mr. Beemer are unreasonable, and have harmed my business enough... STOP IT!

nuff said.

~~fred francis
Monster Brewing Hardware

I'm sending a private message to Fred, the wording I want to use being called a lier as well said "offered replacement of damaged parts" that were never offered to me I have words that would not be respectful to this forum and members.
Nuff said.
Carl.

I was torn between a monster mill and a barley crusher..... this pretty much settles it. This is just plain immature.

I teach a "Business Communications" class at the college level, and in class we spend some time dealing with customer complaints and correspondence with customers. Maybe I should grab this thread to use in class...it is priceless! The only thing that would top it would be to also include the email correspondence. :)

Meh, he was taking a good verbal beating on here. Take a refund and be on your way. How much better service do you want than a money back guarantee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back