First recipe. Suggestions or ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
So I was working on this recipe and I am going to try a small batch of it, but below is the 5 gallon version.

Let me know what you think. It is an Imperial Double Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Stout.

14lb 2row US
1.75 lb Flaked oats
1.30 lb Black Patent Malt
1 lb Chocolate malt
1 lb Roasted Barley
.75 Lb Crystal Malt - 120L
2x White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

3 OZ east Kent Goldings @ 60 minutes

1 Lb Cocoa powder
Cherrys to secondary (not sure the amount yet)

Any suggestions or comments?

Isn't that a lot of the black patent Malt? I just read in Palmer's book that it can give an unpleasant bitterness in larger quantity. He suggested no more than half a pound per 5 gallon recipe.

The title of your post was "First Recipe"....

It this is your first batch you may consider doing something a little easier and more stragiht forward ie....a pale ale.....pilsner or maybe an IPA.

The title of your post was "First Recipe"....

It this is your first batch you may consider doing something a little easier and more stragiht forward ie....a pale ale.....pilsner or maybe an IPA.

This is not my first batch. :fro:

Isn't that a lot of the black patent Malt? I just read in Palmer's book that it can give an unpleasant bitterness in larger quantity. He suggested no more than half a pound per 5 gallon recipe.

Thats good to know. This is why I am asking in here :)

Back