Help - weak beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbakernd

Reaction score
I am a beginner brewer....I got a kit for Xmas and made 2 different brews:

True Brew - Nut Brown Ale
True Brew - Red Ale

Both came out great with color, head but the problem is there is VERY LITTLE taste. I like full body beers.

They have very little hop flavor and any flavor. Please HELP...am I not steeping enough? did I add to much water? Is the KIT just not good?

Thank and ANY advice is welcome....

Sounds like just need to add more hops and malt next time. Did you create the recipes yourself or were they pre-made recipe kits?

There are plenty of things you can do. Go to your LHBS and buy more hops and malt. Also, to increase body in your beers, I'd suggest using Carapils. Carapils helps add a thicker body to your beer. If you are doing extract brews, steeping a half pound or pound of carapils mixed with crystal 10 grains will help add more sugars to your beer.

Good luck!

do you like and generally drink this style of beer.? The characteristics of those beers can vary alot between differnt brands, read the descriptions or reveiws and you can find out what your looking for better. I may be wrong but i think these types may be generally light to medium bodied.carapils, oats are good or more crystal malt.
chapter 20 in John Palmers How to Brew explains it.

another thing to think of...
how long did you let these beers age/ bottle condition? If the beer is too young/green, to me it tastes thin and watery. You said that you got a kit for christmas - only 5 weeks ago. Most people would ferment a beer for 3 or 4 weeks, then let it sit in the bottle for at least 3 weeks before drinking.

I know it's hard, but try giving it more time... unless it's already all gone :mug:

Really these kits are just a starter. My first batch was a canned extract kit. My LHBS recommended two cans. Then I did a couple boxed kits. They tasted okay, but like you said they were weak and lacked body and were low on hops.

After that I started making up my own recipes. Now that you have gotten started, suck them down like session beers and put some beer in those buckets.

Thank you I followed the kit 48-72 hrs to ferment, sit in Carbode for 3 days, then bottle and let sit for 3 weeks

Thank you I followed the kit 48-72 hrs to ferment, sit in Carbode for 3 days, then bottle and let sit for 3 weeks

Sounds like you stopped short the fermentation process - some fermentations take up to 72 hours before they even start! Did you take any gravity readings before bottling?

When I've made thin beers in the past, it was one of two things: 1) too few grains; or 2) the beer just needed more time. The first is easy to fix - the second is hard because it takes lots of patience! 3 days is the absolute minimum time the beer should stay in primary fermentation - knowing what I know now, I would never put it in for less than 2 weeks, and up to a month is preferable. 3 weeks in the bottle is the absolute minimum for a beer to start tasting like decent beer. I would try again with a kit, but this time follow the instructions of howtobrew.com - I think you'll end up with a lot better brew.

Sounds like you stopped short the fermentation process - some fermentations take up to 72 hours before they even start! Did you take any gravity readings before bottling?

When I've made thin beers in the past, it was one of two things: 1) too few grains; or 2) the beer just needed more time. The first is easy to fix - the second is hard because it takes lots of patience! 3 days is the absolute minimum time the beer should stay in primary fermentation - knowing what I know now, I would never put it in for less than 2 weeks, and up to a month is preferable. 3 weeks in the bottle is the absolute minimum for a beer to start tasting like decent beer. I would try again with a kit, but this time follow the instructions of howtobrew.com - I think you'll end up with a lot better brew.

+1 although I wouldn't recommend a minimum or maximum time; use your hydrometer :) and you choose whether or not to "age" once fermentation is complete. Old school thought; not necessary to age an ale, new school; seem to favor ageing even for non lagers. In any case, fermentation must complete - so get a hydrometer and take some readings, starting at 5-10 days.

from the instructions said:
Over the next 24 hours fermentation should begin, and you’ll see bubbling through the airlock. Fermentation should continue for 48-72 hours, and then cease as settling begins.
Allow the beer to settle for 3-4 days after fermentation ceases (no more bubbles in the airlock). Generally, you’ll be ready to bottle a week after beginning fermentation.
My emphasis - Instructions actually indicated to leave for days after fermentation was complete. Relax, you could leave out of the fridge to continue to bottle condition, but they probably won't "finish" as that really needed to take place in the primary, but they may improve.

Chalk it up and good luck on the next one!

Back