Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adarn

Reaction score
hey, first batch is just getting going.
I think my mother is ok, but I'm really scared that there might be mold on it, and I just can't tell. here are some pictures of the top and bottom.
I think the brown stuff is just yeast, but is it mold?
Thanks,
Adam
IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

She looks great!

Mold will typically be fuzzy/hairy and green, blue, or grey in appearance.

As you guessed, the brown spots are yeast.

Those translucent spots are where the SCOBY has started growing over the yeast. Perfectly normal and definitely healthy. Congrats!

What size jar are you brewing in?

yay thanks!!
the jar is about 1.5 gallons, this batch turned out pretty darn bitter.
Just started a new one today and bottled this one. I'm trying some interesting teas so we'll see how it turns out.

That can happen fairly easily when you don't test the pH or control the temperature of your brew.

With that said, I have yet to invest in any equipment that would allow me to do so. I've found sampling your kombucha every other day just as effective. For me, 7 days at room temperature produces the best brew. You should try doing the same until you find what works best for you.

What types of teas are you planning on trying?

This batch is a mix mostly green with some licorice. should be interesting.
The last batch was green and matte, i think I brewed it too long, it came out extremely bitter.
Also, do you know why it might not be carbonating very well?

The last batch was green and matte, i think I brewed it too long, it came out extremely bitter.

when i bottle it i add just a little ginger and honey (this is especially great for turning around a vinegary batch.) after a couple days of air tight brewing, you'll have a very fizzy drank.

Fermenting your kombucha for too long can cause the vinegar flavors to become too pronounced.

Your kombucha may not be carbonating because all of the sugar has been fermented out of solution. If there's not enough sugar left when you bottle your kombucha then no CO2 will be produced, resulting in a lack of carbonation.

Back