Munich Dunkel for contest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Guten Tag All!

I will be brewing this beer for a local contest tomorrow and some input on the recipe would be greatly appreciated.

this is what i am thinking.

8# munich malt
3# cara munich
1# honey malt

Brew house Eff. at 65%

for an OG of 1.056
SRM of 18.9

Perle and Halletauer for the hops

Vial of German Lager yeast

Thoughts..........Suggestions.............all are welcome.

Reverend

Dunno about honey malt--never used it.

3 lbs of caramunich is a sick large amount. Most recipes call for more like 8-12 ozs.

Also, most dunkel recipes use a small amount of chocolate or carafa for color.

cweston is right. Alternately, you could use crystal 120L for the darker color, and give yourself some more caramelly, and not such a roasty, flavor profile. Or go half and half.

Here is my problem.

When the contest was announced we were given a list of grains to choose from. Vienna malt was one of them so i was going to make a vienna lager. we were then told that the vienna was not availiable and munich was the substitute, so i switched gears to a munich dunkel but not in time to change what i wanted for the ingredients as they provide them so everyone is on a level playing field.

I can up the honey malt for the color as i have about 6 lbs of that but im not sure what that will do to the flavor. I need the honey for the SRMs i guess. So maybe like:

8# munich
3# honey malt
1# cara munich

?

No, there was around 6 different grains but when i was planning on the vienna lager these were the grains i was going to use but then they did not have the avaliability of the vianna malt i think it may be a bit hard to make a veinna lager with no vienna malt so i changed to a dunkel and now dont know what to do with the grains i have.

Latest posts

Back