Sweet Cherry Melomel Puree Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
I started a sweet cherry melomel (6 gals) and added 2 cans of Oregon Sweet Cherry Puree which has all settled to the bottom. The yeast is going loco on it which is great. My question is should I mix it up/aerate it and if so how often and for how long (months/weeks)?

It's ok to stir up to a certain point (I think it's 1/2 sugar break).

That said - if it's in there, it will all work its way into the mead as the yeasties do their job. If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it.

You want to stir the crap out of it for the first 2-3 days to get plenty of oxygen in the must but jezter's right - once the fermentation is half finished you might want to give it a mild stir but that's it.

How much honey did you use?
I just mixed up a similiar batch.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/cherry-vanilla-melomel-161411/

I stirred the bejeezuz out of mine when I started the batch on 2/5. I did swirl the bucket on the 9th before a nutrient addition. I just picked it up by the handle and twisted back/forth a few times to get a few things off the bottom back into suspension. It agitates without aerating.

This weekends gravity reading was 1.002 (down from 1.104).

Back