Removing Lids on Ale Pails?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I recently switched to plastic buckets for my fermentation. The lids are a massive PITA to get off though. Anyone have any tips on getting them off with ease. Im to the point of trying to you a screwdriver under it to get it started. I dont want to make a scratch or anything though.

workout a little bit :D,

seriously though maybe its just the brand you bought. Never had an issue with mine. Are they ale pails or just regular pails

Hit the weight room. :D

Stick one knee on one side, grab the other side of the lid, pull the edge of the lid out and up and work your way around. It takes some doing but you should be able to get it off.

if you look around the edges of the lid you will see where your supposed to cut the plastic. take a razor blade and cut the slits. just don't get carried away.

I recently switched to plastic buckets for my fermentation. The lids are a massive PITA to get off though. Anyone have any tips on getting them off with ease. Im to the point of trying to you a screwdriver under it to get it started. I dont want to make a scratch or anything though.

I have the same problem on 2 different brands of buckets. it sucks

I rest my forearms across the top of the keg and use my elbows to hold the back of the top down as I pry up on the opposite side with my hands. Hopefully that is fairly clear. lol

A 99 cent to 5 dollar utility/paint bucket opening tool from your dollar or hardware store, or the 10 dollar version at your lhbs. :D

14opener-1-l.jpg

Don't cut those slits! They help to keep a good seal. You've just got to work the lid. Reach across the lid and pry up. If you work on the far side of the lid you can get good leverage. You'll know when you've pulled enough. Then work your way around the entire lid until it comes off easily. I've seen 14 year old girls do this in a restaurant. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to unless you have problems with your hands.

One thing that really helps (especially with my arthritic hands) is to put your knee really hard in the middle of the bucket. Reach to the side opposite you, and lift up from the bottom of the lid, Then work your way around. Once you get about 1/3 of the way around, the whole lid lifts off easily. It takes a little technique, but not much brute strength.

Drilled a 1.5" hole into the lid and use a #10 bung to plug it up.

I fill via this port, aerate and sample via a thief.

Note: Double check the hole size in relation to whatever bung you get.

Revvy has the right idea. My pail opener has a mixing paddle on the end. Sometimes I use it to agitate the wort. It's also good for scraping the crud off the sides, as it is a relatively soft plastic.

I find that frozen hands and frozen buckets make it very hard to open them. I think you should just buy some stainless conicals.

I rest my forearms across the top of the keg and use my elbows to hold the back of the top down as I pry up on the opposite side with my hands. Hopefully that is fairly clear. lol

+1
I use this same method. That way I am not risking the thing just ripping off as soon as it gives way.
Once you have a little section that pops free you can get you fingers under there and work around in a circle.
But yes... it is a PITA.:mad:

Here's a tip: don't snap the lids on in the first place :) Just place the lid over the top and leave it there. I don't bother with snapping anything down because of how big a pain it is to get them back off.

Here's a tip: don't snap the lids on in the first place :) Just place the lid over the top and leave it there. I don't bother with snapping anything down because of how big a pain it is to get them back off.

Doesn't that leave it exposed to air and at risk for infection? Is the CO2 enough to keep the bugs at bay?

Doesn't that leave it exposed to air and at risk for infection? Is the CO2 enough to keep the bugs at bay?

many folks just cover their fermenter buckets with a piece of plexiglass letting the co2 push out between where the plexiglass and the bucket meet. Others cover their carboy mouth with tinfoil. Totally ignoring the need for either an airlock OR a bucket cover.

A lot of folks, especially folks with arthritis, barely even put the lid on tight at all, they just lay it on top. again, if co2 is getting out, NOTHING nasty can get in. And that really is all that matters.

If co2 is getting out somewhere, then nothing else is getting in.

Nope - even if there is no CO2 production, dust and the wild yeast and bacteria in the air falls down, not up. As long as the opening is covered, nothing should go awry. In the event of fruit flies, I will snap it down just to be on the safe side.

Nope - even if there is no CO2 production, dust and the wild yeast and bacteria in the air falls down, not up. As long as the opening is covered, nothing should go awry. In the event of fruit flies, I will snap it down just to be on the safe side.

Good to know... Thanks.

You too Revy, thanks.

Love my pail opener. Except it only works on 3 of my 4 buckets. The other is a PITA to get off so I never use it.

Back