How much does it cost to make homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting a thread in the FAQs or a sticky.

It comes up time and time again.

Here's a good starting point. http://www.brewersfriend.com/2008/06/07/break-even-cost-of-home-brewing/

any other links to add to above?

1. Have you worked out your cost per batch if so what is it (Average or Range)?
2. How accurate is it? (Does it take into account extras/sundries like fuel, water, sanitisers etc.)
3. Are you Extract and Steep / Partial Mash/ All Grain
4. What if ever will be your break even point?
5. How much do you have invested in equipment?
6. Have you got a formula or spread sheet to work it out?
7. Do expect or care about a cost return/savings?

I pay approximately $100 per 5 gallon batch, I will post details later. I am an exception to this thread and I possibly be the highest cost brewer on here regardless of style. I am an extract brewer, but for the styles I brew, it is still cheaper than buying in the stores.

Sounds a lot.
I'll also post details when I have more time.

When there's enough content I'll clean up the tread and put a link in the FAQ so it'd be good if brewers can post some good info.

I pay approximately $100 per 5 gallon batch, I will post details later. I am an exception to this thread and I possibly be the highest cost brewer on here regardless of style. I am an extract brewer, but for the styles I brew, it is still cheaper than buying in the stores.

Wow! :eek:

I think my most expensive batch may have been $60.

yeah, shipping here is expensive, I am looking into ways to get my costs down. I have found a canadian supplier to order from, I will place my first order from there next month. that should lower my cost significantly.

Thanks, Orfy, for this idea - I agree, it comes up all the time and is often misunderstood. Your questions are also very helpful!

My ingredients' cost per 5 gallon batch has now stabilized and most recently has run from $19.49 for a Belgian witbier to $21.14 for a Cream Stout to $23.25 for a hoppy wheat pale ale. I've tracked these costs through Beersmith (if you accurately enter the costs in Beersmith's inventory function, then each recipe you enter will total the costs of ingredients for that batch).

From Jesterday's post, we know that context matters when discussing the cost of homebrewing. Jesterday's cost per batch is extraordinary because he lives with wolves in the Arctic Circle - or at least in a very remote area where he pays exorbitantly for shipping.

Here's what contributes to my costs:

• I brew all grain, so my cost per batch is going to be lower now than when I first started brewing with extract and steeping grains. Almost all beginners most of whom will start with extract, will find that their cost per batch is significantly more than my current costs. This is important for beginners to know - your cost per batch will likely be more than many of the more experienced brewers here because extract brewing costs more than all grain brewing.

• Because I live in the southern portion of Chicago, I am able to significantly lower my cost per batch by buying grain in bulk from Mid Country Malt and picking it up myself. I can buy a 55# bag, I don't have to arrange a group buy, or order a full pallet load, or pay any shipping. I am truly fortunate.

• One item that raises my cost per batch is that I specialize in brewing organically. This means that I pay between 84 and 97 cents per pound of organic grain at Mid Country. For hops, I pay between $2.07 to $2.95 per ounce. These costs could be reduced significantly if I did not buy organic ingredients, but for me, I've decided to pay a little more per batch to be able to brew organic beer. But I am always exploring ways to do so and keep my costs in line. Other people make other choices which impact their cost per batch. For example, there are brewers who mainly brew big, high abv beers. Or brewers who brew hoppy beers, routinely using 4 or more ounces of hops per batch. We all make brewing and style choices that impact our cost per batch.

• A remaining area for me to reduce costs would be in yeast. Currently, I just buy the yeast (at my lbhs) and use it. Others here have taught me through their example of how to harvest, wash and store yeast, so that it can be reused. I would like to try this and if I did, my cost per batch would begin to inch downwards towards $15. But here's the thing - I make my brewing choices in light of the rest of my life. In my case, for example, I have two teenage boys, a stressful job (in this economy, seven other families depend upon me for their monthly income) and a spouse who I adore and support. So, at this point, I'm not managing my yeast and reusing it, because I've made the choice that while it would be cost efficient, I can't justify the time right now. But I am really looking forward to getting into that part of brewing at some point.

All of the above have referred to the costs of ingredients per batch, ignoring the other costs that Orfy mentioned in the OP. I've never tracked my propane usage, so I can't say. My equipment is, I think kind of middle of the road - pretty much the standard, baseline equipment for brewing all-grain. It includes: grain mill and bucket, beverage cooler mashtun, propane stove, 12 gallon brew kettle, immersion chiller, three carboys (6, 5 and 3 gallons), vinator, bottle tree and bottling bucket. Roughly, this equipment cost me $500.

In summary, I don't brew because its cheaper than buying commercial craft beers - but I do take steps to lower my costs as much as is reasonable, given choices that I make. For me, its about balance and enjoying the hobby at a reasonable cost.

10 gallons All Grain Bitter 4.6 ABV At regular LHBS prices (Shipping not included):-

15# Maris Otter at $65 per bag ($48 when bought in bulk) = $18
Speciality grains home rosted thus already included.

5 oz hops at $2.50 per oz = $12.50

Demerara sugar = $1.25

adjuncts: Whirlfloc, gypsum, etc quick guesstimate = $1

Propane = $5

yeast (dry) = $3

Water from tap negligable

TOTAL = $40.75 or $4.07 per gallon

My costs at present using bulk bought grain and hops for the same brew:

Bulk grain = $13
Present price on bulk hops $5

TOTAL = $28.25 or $2.82 per gallon

My basic AG set up cost probably in the region of $300 I regard this cost as an "entrance fee" to my hobby and just never think about it in relation to the cost per brew.I do not brew to save money, but I do. Saving money is not the reason I brew, but i do regard cost saving excercises as an important fun part of the hobby.

Wow. That link is being pretty optimistic I think on how much it costs to buy beer at the store. $50 a case? I don't even know what you could buy that is that expensive! So in my opinion a very unreasonable base point.

I am an extract brewer. For the first 30 brews or so I added all my costs and tracked my yield (down to the exact # of bottles each batch). My break even point, including sanitizers, wort chiller, extra fermenters, shipping (everything!) was at 22 batches. A batch or two was undrinkable, or just not very good and I dumped it then I subtracted that number out of the yield. I calculated the yield based on what I would have bought otherwise. Heineken at 12.99 a 12-pack.

I've never considered the cost, it's a hobby. At the last HoV meeting, one guy said the three salmon he caught the previous weekend cost him about $170 each.

It is a hobby, but it eats up m y "allowance" money from the household budget, and I like numbers, so I keep track.

1. Have you worked out your cost per batch if so what is it (Average or Range)? The average is from $10 - $15 per 5 gallons.

2. How accurate is it? (Does it take into account extras/sundries like fuel, water, sanitisers etc.) I have been on the same 32oz bottle of StarSan for 3 years, that is minimal, electical costs are about $1.20 per session.

3. Are you Extract and Steep / Partial Mash/ All Grain ALL Grain

4. What if ever will be your break even point? Dont know, the brew rig is over $2k now

5. How much do you have invested in equipment? About $2,500

6. Have you got a formula or spread sheet to work it out? Yes and No.. for ingredients I have a spreadsheet to track my bulk orders and cost per pounds of ounce.

7. Do expect or care about a cost return/savings? No, ha ha, no

2. How accurate is it? (Does it take into account extras/sundries like fuel, water, sanitisers etc.)

1) after 5 batches my average is 45.80. this is taking into account that i did some random brews that required say, 3 lbs of raspberries or the 60 oz of pumpkin. Also for my LME i went with more expensive "brand" stuff. my average could be down around 30.
2) how accurate is my average... well if you take into account EVERYTHING... bottles, kegs, kegerator, sanitizers, equipment kits, and water/electricity... let me re-rerun the numbers. ok, numbers for average with equipment/electricity/kegerator/sanitzer/etc. is 198/batch... though i had the kegerator before i started brewing which would take this number down to 108 per batch.
3) I am an extract / steep brewer, but as soon as i get some more room, i am breaking out the welding machine and fabricating a brew rig. Granted i will probably mostly do partial mash but it will be able to do all grain. This point is where my average cost per batch will skyrocket...
4) assuming that i don't do any more kits/build anything/buy anything other than the bare essentials and ingredients to brew beer, my break even point will be now technically. at 108 dollars per batch average. So from here its about 8.5 6packs. figuring that an average 6 pack of craft beer is 9 dollars, i am at what should be 76/batch. My next next (2 batches from now) home brew batch would technically put me at even. this of margin of course could be made much larger by my next brew being some cheap 6lb extract with 1 oz of hops and ranched yeast for a total of a 20 dollar batch...
5) my total invested into equipment is 1 kegerator @ 450, 4 kegs @ 105, bottles 24 @ 13, DIY stirplate @ 29, deluxe equipment kit @ 105, another primary and secondary fermenter @ 50 so my total in equipment is... 752
6)i just kind of through all this together on excel. took me a total of 5 minutes to make the sheet, 10 minutes of remembering and finding receipts for all the random stuff i have bought for this obsession.
7) cost/return savings... here we go, if i never bought a kegerator i am still high on the cost side... granted a smart and thrifty person could get away with $40 worth of equipment for his brew gear by shopping around and following the i made my xxx this way, or found my xxx from this place for 2 dollars vice 20, etc. also do i really need 4 kegs? nope, do i need another primary and secondary? nope.. so from just getting into the hobby and staying at entry level equipment (that could be made cheap/found cheap like say ...80 bucks for the whole deal) my true average per batch would be 80 dollars per batch after my 5 brews... if you did AHS brews for 30 dollars you at this point would have broke even and saved money by batch 4. Yes i want to save money on beer but i enjoy my hobby as well. maybe after i get into partial/all grain and can find a way to make everything for cheaper, i will actually break even and save tons on beer. til then i will just brew and be happy doing it.

Digressing from topic, my girlfriend has been thinking about getting into winemaking. she crunched the numbers and found that if she bought the equipment kit, an ingredient kit, and bottles then made and bottled the wine and threw the whole thing out after drinking the wine it would come out to 8 dollars a bottle.

Personally the "This Ancho Average Pale Ale" I just brewed cost me $53 in extract, water, and chiles. Plus another $10 for a new bottle of vodka for filling the airlock. BTW I drink the vodka so that may be something not included in the total price. Lol!

Between buying bulk grain ad bulk hops and reusing yeast, I am between $10 and $30 considering alll the ingredients and other things used during a brew day like propane, salts, electricity etc... What that doesn't include is all the equipment that seems to add up quicker than the ingredients. I could probably double those numbers if I counted that.

Regarding the costs of ingredients and the costs of equipment . . .

I find it helpful to think about these costs as separate - as an analogy, in my work, I think about capital expenses (buildings, for example) and current operating expenses (such as payroll). These are related in some ways, but we make choices about each of them that are separate.

For example, in homebrewing, some people buy/build very nice rigs costing thousands while others buy more basic equipment (a propane burner, an igloo mashtun, etc.) But they all buy grain, hops, etc.

So, looking at the range of costs and choices made regarding ingredients as separate from the range of costs and choices made regarding brewery seems to be helpful. I find it far less helpful to try to combine and merge those costs.

I'm around $20 per all grain batch. I count the star san, bottle caps / CO2, brewing salts in my tracking spreadsheet which amounts to about $1.75. Another thing to track is the cost of the priming sugar, and any DME used in creating a yeast starter ($1.50). If I can re-pitch the yeast that is a nice savings. Using home grown hops is also 'free'.

In Portland Oregon, BrewBrothers is a good place to get malt in bulk for a good price.

The fixed cost of my equipment was just under $2000, but I have a lot of flexibility and everything I could possibly want. My 15 gallon pot with a ball valve allows for 10 gallon batches, I can lager with my keezer, and serve beer on tap. I've had so much fun the cost does not matter. I did look at it as an investment - that's what I tell SWMBO.

There is also a hidden cost to bulk buying in case no one has mentioned it. Spoilage. Have you ever had to throw out a half a pound of hops? I have. It's not that easy to strike a balance between bulk cost saving, always having ingredients to brew what you want, and using it all up in time before it goes bad.

It works out really well when you bulk buy for a group brew though. We'll be doing 60 gallons of Flanders Brown next month and the base malt was bought by the sack. The fermentables come out to $12 per 5.5 gallon share and that's for a 1.072 OG beer. Add in an ounce of hops and a vial of yeast and you're at $20.

Water salts, heating gas, sanitizer, and depreciated equipment costs add about $5 more. I don't know... how many years do you figure on a keggle? Lifetime? It's hard to figure out because I can sell all my equipment for more than I paid for it.

One thing I've seen people overlook here is the cost of heating the water. It costs me ~$19 for a tank of propane, and I use most of a tank to keep water boiling for an hour or more on my Banjo Burner. So, if it costs $35 - $50 for a typical extract kit that I'm brewing, maybe $15 worth of propane, $7 for bottled distilled water, and probably $5 worth of "sundry" stuff -- cost of water in immersion chiller, cost of sanitizer, grain bags, etc. That brings me to $62 - $77 per batch, assuming all equipment is free.

Of course, if you use higher-quality ingredients, or liquid yeast (I use dry), or are brewing higher-gravity beers that require more inputs, then that can easily rise $10 - $20.

Of course, the cost-per-batch of equipment decreases with each batch that you make. So, right now, it's pretty high for me, but after 100 batches it will be down to a 3 or 4 bucks per batch.

The way I see it, I get around 25 22oz bottles. At $75 per batch for a mid-high Amber ale with specialty grains, that's $3 per bottle. I can buy 22 oz. bottles of Fat Tire at my local supermarket for $3.16 each (pre-tax). I don't necessarily make beer to save money -- I do it because it is FUN. It certainly won't COST me money, though, over the long term. And for certain styles of beer (the high-gravity belgian dark ales in particular), you can certainly save a TON of money. A batch of Rochefort 10 would probably cost me about $100, but they cost $6 for a 12oz at my local liquor store.

I'm an extract/steep brewer, and generally weigh in at around $25-30 per 5 gal. batch. I have 2 varieties of hops that I've purchased in bulk, and supplement that with some that I buy individual ounces of. I also wash yeast and re-use yeast cakes, but keep some US-05 and -04 around in case a batch of older yeast doesn't take off like I want it to.

Propane used to kill me at $16 a fill, $4-$5 per brew session. Plus, the hassle of having to go fill it.

Electric for the same brew is $1.20, and it is delivered to my door.

Bulk buying is where cost savings is, if buying in bulk and you have a desire to reduce spoilage or waste... do a group buy. This way you can buy hops in bulk, get bulk pricing, and if you only want 4 ounces, just keep 4 ounces. No need to stock a full pound.

i agree with pappers in that equipment is more of a capital investment and that since evry brewer has a different setup and therefore different cost associated with the building of same it doesn't make sense to include those costs when talking about per batch costs.

AG, electric hlt, propane boils=my setup
bm's centenial blonde is around $12 for 5.5g
ed's haus pale=@$13
arrogant bastard clone=@$27
spiced stout=$13

My last batch of I2PA yielded approx 9 gallons for $36.00 exclusive of utilities, cleaning supplies, etc. When I factor in how much I have spent on equipment the cost is way too high to record on a permanent record that could be used against me in any future legal action. But it is a hobby and keeps me out of trouble.

Let me put this in a little different light. I have about $1000 worth of equipment. Per batch, on average, ingredient cost is roughly $25. Propane/gas cost is about $8 per batch. Electricity to keep my brew cold is probably around $3 per month.

Now, that said, let's look at some other relevant factors. I am 52 years-old. I am approaching that prime age for heart disease. The stress relief from brewing coupled with the therapeutic affects of MODERATE alcohol consumption more than pays for this hobby. The cost of one hospitalization for chest pain is over $2000 after insurance pays their part. A doctor visit costs me $30, a prescription for blood pressure medicine is $45 per month. I don't have that expense because my home brew helps me keep my circulatory system clean, it removes plaque from arteries and prevents build-up, which is the cause of most heart episodes.
What does brewing cost me? Nothing when you consider how much I am saving in medical expense by having such an enjoyable hobby.

A whole propane tank to boil for an hour? That can't be right. In any case, I'm glad I use natural gas. My batch cost there is about $2. Also, chiller water is about 1 cent per gallon.

I understand the desire to discuss intangibles like the personal joy you get from brewing but I think this thread is more about hard fast numbers. Direct costs. What if homebrewing costs you your marriage. That's like $1250 per batch in alimony.

I understand the desire to discuss intangibles like the personal joy you get from brewing but I think this thread is more about hard fast numbers. Direct costs. What if homebrewing costs you your marriage. That's like $1250 per batch in alimony.

Or you wreck your car on the way to the LHBS...

I've never really tried to figure this out, but here goes.

I buy bulk, so 50lbs of grain at $45, and hops at $12lb plus shipping ($10 for 2lbs). I harvest my yeast, and usually get 2-4 batches out of a vial. $19 propane tanks last me 5-6 brews because I heat most of my water on the stove. And keeping my fridge at 65 when it's 67 ambient can't be too costly. So for the pale I'm brewing next week it will cost about $10 in grain, $3 in hops, $1.75 in yeast, $3.16 in gas. Figure a couple more bucks for salts, whirfloc, sanitizer and water (at like $0.05 per gallon), and I'm looking at maybe $20 per regular 5 gallon batch. Make it a higher gravity, add some more specialty malts or a special beer that requires a different yeast than I normally use and it will probably be around $25-30.

Not too shabby, but I have absolutely no idea how much I've spent on equipment, $1000-1500 probably, and I've gone to brewing school which I wouldn't have done if I hadn't gotten into homebrewing, and that set me back another $4000 so far. So figure those costs in, and I will break even (hopefully) when I'm running my own brewery.
There is also a hidden cost to bulk buying in case no one has mentioned it. Spoilage. Have you ever had to throw out a half a pound of hops? I have.

Save 'em for a lambic. I've got a quarter pound that won't be good for lambic brewing for another 6 months to a year.;)

I end up doing a lot of stupid purchasing as a result of doing a little smart purchasing.

I bought a 50lb sack of pale malt, $43.50 no shipping. Smart.

I needed a scale to measure said pale malt. $25.

Per batch, I previously spent almost $30 on ingredients for 5gal of extract beer. My first all-grain batch was probably about the same.

Grain is cheap. Equipment is not. I think a lot of us have spent quite a bit of money because of things like "I don't like to siphon". That's fine with me.

I heard a quick thing on that podcast that so many of us listen to about the economics of brewing, and it went something like this:

"This is a hobby, right? So if I were to say, pay $80 in greens fees or docking fees or paintballs or whatever, all I get out of it is 8 hours of entertainment, plus expensive equipment costs. With brewing, I spend much much less than that, AND when I'm done, I've got FIVE GALLONS OF BEER! How does it make sense NOT to brew?!"

Do I have to include the cost of buying more pants?

I think my waist went from 30 to 38 ...attributable in part to HOMEBREW!!!

Wish I had a faster metabolism :)

Another cost factor no one has mentioned is the labor costs!! The commercial comparison includes their time since it's not a HOBBY for them. If we were to compare prices, we would have to add in our time, and not just brewing time, but getting supplies, reading this forum, drinking at the bar with friends to "taste test", bottling, making labels, deciding on which next piece of equipment to buy..... It could be hundreds of hours per week :rockin:

Ok, maybe not that much, but it is significant.

My stats are:

$1.69 per bottle / $12.93 per Gal / $31.25 per batch since I do Mr. Beer

1. Have you worked out your cost per batch if so what is it (Average or Range)? Yes, above

2. How accurate is it? (Does it take into account extras/sundries like fuel, water, sanitisers etc.),
includes almost all costs, except electricity and gas for stove and fridge, also no labor costs.

3. Are you Extract and Steep / Partial Mash/ All Grain Extract(some steeping)

4. What if ever will be your break even point? Never, its a HOBBY, when you can measure fun, comraderie, and satisfaction, then I will give a break even point.

5. How much do you have invested in equipment? About $450 and planning at least another $500, wait till I start keggin!!

6. Have you got a formula or spread sheet to work it out? Spreadsheet and Brewbook

7. Do expect or care about a cost return/savings? I care about managing the costs and trying to incrementally build/augment the equipment, but I don't compare it to commercial purchases.

just to give you an idea of what we pay for beer here, a 6 pack of heineken is almost $15 lol.

Hoegaarden which is my favorite beer and the clone I just brewed is not even available so to drink the real thing, I have to drive 30km to get it on tap, at $7.50 a pint, otherwise I go without. so really paying $100 a batch isn't that bad for something I like to do and enjoy drinking.

Wow. That link is being pretty optimistic I think on how much it costs to buy beer at the store. $50 a case? I don't even know what you could buy that is that expensive! So in my opinion a very unreasonable base point.

I am an extract brewer. For the first 30 brews or so I added all my costs and tracked my yield (down to the exact # of bottles each batch). My break even point, including sanitizers, wort chiller, extra fermenters, shipping (everything!) was at 22 batches. A batch or two was undrinkable, or just not very good and I dumped it then I subtracted that number out of the yield. I calculated the yield based on what I would have bought otherwise. Heineken at 12.99 a 12-pack.

In the spirit of including every expense in the price of brewing (propane, tubing, CO2, and even largely one-time expenses like corny kegs, etc) I did this simple exercise: I used my budgeting software to isolate all of my brewing expenses and give me a grand total for as long as it has been keeping track, which is 3/30/09 to 10/25/09. In that time I have spent $1,319.55 on brewing. I brewed 17 5gallon batches. Assuming 50 beers per batch, that's 850 beers at a cost of $1.55 per beer or $9.30 for a 6-pack. That's about what I expect to pay for craft beer at the store. I'm sure I could drive that waaay down if it were more of a priority. Your mileage may vary widely. Almost all of my brewing setup was purchased before that time period, so the initial equipment purchase would certainly affect that for a new brewer.

It costs me $.05 per oz :mug:

Ingredients - $25-30 for 5 gals All Grain
Time - $20 I pay myself to make beer
Gas, Water, Electricity, C02, Fridge - $10
Bottles - $1 each when I buy new
Starter - $1.50
Equipment - More than I have spent on other hobbies

I think I'm still into this less than $1000 for equipment. It's hard to keep track. 5.5 gallon batches run $10 to $30 in grain and hops, most are less than $20. About 25-30¢ a serving.

I heat watter on the electric stove in two pots. Propane is about $14 to fill my 20 lb tank and I get 4 11 gallon batches with it. Less than $2 a 5.5 gallon batch.

I've only done two batches, so my numbers are going to be pretty high:

1. $62.78 per gallon. Comes from making 8 total gallons in the bottle out of spending $502.21 so far. Went with full boil kettle, and a "deluxe" starter kit, other misc stuff....

2. Includes everything from the HB store (a few carboys, 8 gallon ss kettle, racking equipment, yeast starter stuff, star-san, ingredients obviously, other misc.) and propane, does not include bottled water.

3. Extract w/ grain

4. Obviously depends on what I brew in the future, but I probably won't break even for awhile. I plan on expanding my equipment (more carboys), and even if I brewed five 5-gallon batches at $30 each, I'd still be at $11 per 6-pack.

5. $409.98 - most of my cost has been equipment. Just including ingredients, my cost is about $1.08 / beer.

6. Spreadsheet

7. No, but eventually I'll break even.

Something that's also interesting to me would be $ per beer consumed. If I buy a 6-er for $8.50, that $8.50 is going straight to my stomach (my wife doesn't drink beer). How many of you guys drink every ounce of your batches? I know I'll be sharing a good portion of at least my first few batches, especially since #2 was a Christmas ale meant to be shared :)

Back