Help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfan13

Reaction score
This is a long one so I apologize in advance. I just want to get this right and I cant seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have the book Clone Brews and I am trying to enter one of their recipes for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale into Beersmith. The purpose of this is to scale down recipes into 2.5 gallon batches. Here is the recipe from the book.

Steep - Crush and steep in 1/2 gallon 150 degree water for 30min: 4oz. 60L American crystal malt.

Strain & sparge - strain the grain water into your brewpot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon water at 150 degrees. Add water to the brewpot for 1.5 gallons total volume. Bring water to boil, remove the pot from the stove and add 6.5 pounds Muntons light DME, 4oz maltodextrin, 1oz Nugget @ 8.2AA for bittering

Boil - Add water until total volume in the bew pot is 2.5 gallons. Bol for 45min then add: .5oz Perle, 1tsp Irish Moss

Boil - Boil for 14min then add: 1oz. Cascade

From here you cool, pitch and dry hop .5oz of cascade.

So, on the bottom of this recipe it says to do the all grain method - Mash 11lb American 2 row with specialty grain at 152 degrees for 90 minutes. I assume with specialty grain just means the 4oz. of American Crystal ? I know to leave out the DME but what about the maltodextrin ?

Then it says to add 5.8 HBU (29% less than the extract recipe) for the bittering hops for 90 minutes of the boil. I am not really following here. They want me to use 29% less Nugget at the beggining ? or can you get a lower HBU/AA hop ?

Then it goes on to say add the flavoring hops and irish moss for the last 15 min of the boil and the aroma hops at the last minute f the boil.

The book shows this should give you the following -
OG 1.058-1.059
IBU 32
SRM 17
ABV 5.5%
5 gallon yeild
Final gravity of 1.015-1.016

When I plug everything into Beersmith I get
OG 1.061
IBU 27.1
SRM 5.9
ABV 6.3
Final Gravity of 1.014

It looks like I am not far off on some things but I am still wondering why the differences.

I appreciate the help. This is going to be my first all grain and I am doing 2.5 gallon BIAB. I just want to get everything right.

The main things I want to know are the whole 5.8 HBU (29% less than the extract recipe) and the grain question.

This is a long one so I apologize in advance. I just want to get this right and I cant seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have the book Clone Brews and I am trying to enter one of their recipes for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale into Beersmith. The purpose of this is to scale down recipes into 2.5 gallon batches. Here is the recipe from the book.

Steep - Crush and steep in 1/2 gallon 150 degree water for 30min: 4oz. 60L American crystal malt.

Strain & sparge - strain the grain water into your brewpot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon water at 150 degrees. Add water to the brewpot for 1.5 gallons total volume. Bring water to boil, remove the pot from the stove and add 6.5 pounds Muntons light DME, 4oz maltodextrin, 1oz Nugget @ 8.2AA for bittering

Boil - Add water until total volume in the bew pot is 2.5 gallons. Bol for 45min then add: .5oz Perle, 1tsp Irish Moss

Boil - Boil for 14min then add: 1oz. Cascade

From here you cool, pitch and dry hop .5oz of cascade.

So, on the bottom of this recipe it says to do the all grain method - Mash 11lb American 2 row with specialty grain at 152 degrees for 90 minutes. I assume with specialty grain just means the 4oz. of American Crystal ? I know to leave out the DME but what about the maltodextrin ?

Then it says to add 5.8 HBU (29% less than the extract recipe) for the bittering hops for 90 minutes of the boil. I am not really following here. They want me to use 29% less Nugget at the beggining ? or can you get a lower HBU/AA hop ?

Then it goes on to say add the flavoring hops and irish moss for the last 15 min of the boil and the aroma hops at the last minute f the boil.

The book shows this should give you the following -
OG 1.058-1.059
IBU 32
SRM 17
ABV 5.5%
5 gallon yeild
Final gravity of 1.015-1.016

When I plug everything into Beersmith I get
OG 1.061
IBU 27.1
SRM 5.9
ABV 6.3
Final Gravity of 1.014

It looks like I am not far off on some things but I am still wondering why the differences.

I appreciate the help. This is going to be my first all grain and I am doing 2.5 gallon BIAB. I just want to get everything right.

The main things I want to know are the whole 5.8 HBU (29% less than the extract recipe) and the grain question.

Very confused :confused:

Are you doing an All Grain or an Extract w/specialty grains? YOu are talking about both in your question.,

Welcome to the confusing but wonderful world of home brewing. :drunk:

It reads like they put the extract with steeping grains on the same page as the AG recipe method. And you don't dry hop right after cooling & pitching. You wait till you reach FG 1st.

Very confused :confused:

Are you doing an All Grain or an Extract w/specialty grains? YOu are talking about both in your question.,

Welcome to the confusing but wonderful world of home brewing. :drunk:

Yeah, sorry. I am not sure I laid it out in a format that is readable. I should scan the page.

They list the instructions and at the bottom of the page they have the directions if you are doing all grain which read -

to do the all grain method - Mash 11lb American 2 row with specialty grain at 152 degrees for 90 minutes. Then it says to add 5.8 HBU (29% less than the extract recipe) for the bittering hops for 90 minutes of the boil. Then it goes on to say add the flavoring hops and irish moss for the last 15 min of the boil and the aroma hops at the last minute f the boil.

Mash all the grains together and add the maltodextrin as the in the extract recipe.

All grain brewing requires less hops for the same bittering effect because of the full boils so yes you need 29% less hops.

Attached is the directions scanned from the book.

Untitled.jpg

You can get aroma & flavor the last 10 minutes of the boil or so. I do last 10,& ten min steep at flame out after the other additions. The steep at flame out is more for aroma than flavor,but it seems like some flavor is being added. I still think dry hopping for a week would add more yet to the aroma. The steep doesn't quite seem like enough. I'll find out in a little bit,as I have four Sunset Gold ales (my APA wanna be) in the freezer. I'm hoping to get a little more flavor aroma at this point with the o2 caps,my new brewing method (new to me that I figured out kinda thing),& a bit more aging.

Back