My new Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LayMeister

Reaction score
I managed to take part in a group purchase of Cornie's last fall and finally got around to converting the 5.2 Cu-Ft freezer I got at Sam's last fall into a Keezer. It holds 4 Cornie's and a 5lb CO2 tank and still has room for a few bottles. Of course the first thing on tap is a Keg of Ed Wort's Apfelwein.

Paul

Kegerator1.jpg

Kegerator2.jpg

Kegerator3.jpg

Kegerator4.jpg

GOD DAMN that's a huge collar. Doesn't look like you have issues with height, why'd you go so big? I'd hate to have to lift full kegs over that thing and possible hit the shanks.

2 questions....

Where did you get that insulation and what is the brand?

How do you secure the collar to the keezer, and the lid to the collar?

+1 on the lifting bit. What a PITA. The workmanship looks good tho'.

The insulation can be had at a big box home improvement store, in the insulation aisle.

So do you have a crane for your kegs or just really tall?

Looks good though, just would hate putting in full cornies personally, considering my 5'8 stature...

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I made the collar about 12 inches high so that I could put 2 kegs on top of the bump in the floor caused by the compressor and still have the quick connects clear the lid of the freezer. This allows me to get 4 kegs into a small footprint.

I am about 6'2" and never thought about having a problem placing full kegs inside.

I used some generic foam insulation I bought at Home Depot. Two plys of 1" foam with an R5 rating each.

I thought about using double sided foam tape to fasten the collar to the freezer, but it fits so well without it, that it is just setting on top. A small lip on the freezer and its mass keeps it from moving. I ripped the mdf and foam using my table saw without changing the setting. The foam was slipped in place after the assemble mdf was placed on the freezer. They effectively translate the profile of the freezer top to the top of the collar. The lid fits very snugly. I can take the collar off easily to move the freezer or even load in Cornie's.

The lid is attached with a few wood screws into the mdf.

Now I just need to fill it with beer!

Cheers,
Paul

I am about 6'2" and never thought about having a problem placing full kegs inside.

Have you tried lifting a full keg up and over that beast yet? Not trying to talk down or anything, but I'm 6'3" and have problems getting full kegs up and over a 2x4 collar sometimes. Just lookin out for ya man! That's all.

I do have a 24 year old, 6'4", son that lives at home that will be helping me empty it. I guess he can help me fill it as well, if I have any trouble. :mug:

Paul

Have you tried lifting a full keg up and over that beast yet? Not trying to talk down or anything, but I'm 6'3" and have problems getting full kegs up and over a 2x4 collar sometimes. Just lookin out for ya man! That's all.

Is it really necessary to use the insulation? Seems like most people tend to leave it off? I want to build one, maybe I am wrong. Yours looks really nice no matter what!

If the question is will it work without the the insulation, the answer is probably yes.

If the question is will it cost more to operate without the insulation, the answer is also yes. If you are really interested I can probably work it out.

Paul
Is it really necessary to use the insulation? Seems like most people tend to leave it off? I want to build one, maybe I am wrong. Yours looks really nice no matter what!

I have a 12" collar on my keezer. It started out at 6", but then I added another 2x6 to get some extra head room so I can fit a half barrel on the compresser step. Mine is a 13 cuft keezer an has held at one time, 2 half barrels and 2 cornies with room for probably another 1 or 2 cornies. Try lifting 15.5 gallons of beer over that thing. Its a 3 man job, 2 for the lift and one chiropractor.

Back