grains for an IPA/PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
i make a PA or IPA about every other bath, i always use crystal (10L, 20L or 40L usually) along with 2-row, and maybe some other grains. when i was doign extract i always steeped crystal, and since switching to all-grain i'm still always using it...so i want a change, what other grains do some of you use with IPA/PA's? gonna brew next weekend and was planning out what i wanted to try this time around. just want to give it some color and if it adds some awesome new flavor i've been missing out on that'd be awesome.

thanks in advance.

I'll give one or two of these a try next weekend, thanks Yuri!

I love Munich, honey malt and vienna:

Here's the grist for a Kona Pale Ale that is pretty spot on.

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
17.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.0 %
1.75 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 8.2 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.7 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.4 %
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (45 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (35 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (25 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU

I'm really starting to rely on Maris Otter for my PA's. It's a little bit darker but the maltiness seems to hold up my hop bill better. I'm also becoming thoroughly addicted to Simcoe/Columbus hoppage instead of my usual Cascade/Amarillo.

The "pale" ale I'm drinking at this very moment was--I believe--1/3 Pale malt (probably Belgian), 1/3 Vienna, and 1/3 Munich. I only assisted in its brewing, so am not entirely sure of the grainbill. The grainbill was somewhat modeled after the German IPA that I did with roughly the same ingredients.

Crystal malts are perfect for extract brewing. But, you're right, now that you're doing all-grain you can use things like Munich, Vienna, other pale malts, or various specialties along with tailoring your mash to create the same residual sweetness as you were getting from your crystal malts, but possibly with greater flavor complexity.

I've also brewed some highly hopped beers with up to 25% Munich, which I received good compliments on. One also had a lb of wild rice. I personally find that the darker malts (MO to Vienna to Munich) give a really nice malt backbone that compliment heaps of hops very well. But it can become quite a heavy beer.

I think the "American pale ale" tradition has always been to use a neutral yeast with a neutral grain bill and allow the hops to dominate the flavor profile (i.e. SNPA). While I think there is a time and place for these beers, there is also room for new interpretation (see Surly Bender or some of the recent IPA's from Belgium).

The crux becomes finding out what to call these beers...they're really not that pale. I saw a recipe in Zymurgy a couple months ago for an Imperial Amber, basically an IPA that was amber instead of the typical pale.

i think i'm going to use one with alot of Munich and/or Vienna give it a try. haven't put together a recipe yet, but i probably will later today and maybe post it up for review.

thanks everyone!

Back