Heating limitations with false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarwinsMonkey

Reaction score
Just read in a book that you can't heat a MLT fitted with a false bottom. Just blew a wad of money on a SS 20 gallon pot with a false bottom and haven't got to use it yet. Was wondering if I wasted my money or if the book is false. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help.

They're probably referring to it while mashing, and probably correct. However, for initial heating, I heat my MT with a full width false bottom. The majority of the time, I don't recirculate, but since my thermometer is in-line, I have to occasionally to get the temp. I don't don't notice that the bottom is extraordinarily hot compared to the top and the temp stays pretty stable when I continue a recirc.

What kind of false bottom are they referring to? You can't direct heat with a domed false bottom, but it's totally fine with a full false bottom. Just ramp up relatively slowly and recirculate.

I direct fire my false bottomed MLT everytime I brew. Recirculation maintains even temps throughout. Did this book provide any reasoning for not heating?

I just started doing AG and I direct fire my mash in my kettle. No false bottom, but I also don't recirculate. I just stir every 10 min to ensure even temps throughout. Any problems with this?

I just started doing AG and I direct fire my mash in my kettle. No false bottom, but I also don't recirculate. I just stir every 10 min to ensure even temps throughout. Any problems with this?

You will burn the wort that sits on the bottom. Then stir in new wort to burn on the bottom. Maybe small bursts of heat, with stirring, would be ok. You can also scorch the grains and that is not so tasty.

My mashtun has always been direct-fired. It has a false bottom that doesn't even fully cover the bottom (keggle) It's been light scorched once in several years when forgot to open the valve on the pump when mashing in.

I recirculate (pulling from under the false bottom), and it doesn't take a lot of flow to keep from scorching.

The local micro-brewery direct fires under there mash tun with false bottom too.

ColoHox said:
You will burn the wort that sits on the bottom. Then stir in new wort to burn on the bottom. Maybe small bursts of heat, with stirring, would be ok. You can also scorch the grains and that is not so tasty.

Well I use an electric glass top stove. I set it on the lowest possible heat during the mash, and it does small bursts of heat by itself (like any electric stove), but I also don't leave it on the whole time. Seems to be ok so far......

Lets take a vote. Who says I should get a pump to recirculate and who says I should get a beverage cooler MLT?

Direct firing my mash tun while recirculating has been a huge improvement to my brewery. Efficiency went WAY up. Without recirculating with that full width false bottom, the wort underneath superheats and will boil (learned that the hard way when I killed my pump with the burner on). It didn't scorch the grain, and the bulk of the grain bed didn't get anywhere near boiling, but there was some scorching of the wort. Without a pump, I would not direct fire my mash. If you have a domed false bottom that doesn't cover the entire bottom, near constant stirring may work, but sounds like a lot of effort. Personally I'd stick with a cooler at that point.

You can use a burner if it is a full false bottom. Although I would suggest low heat not a 140000 btu burner wide open. Is your intent to maintain Temp or to step mash. If you trying to raise the temp more than a few degrees I would recirculate and stir the mash and you will be fine, if its a diplomat false bottom.

Back