Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe that was you're answer? I'm having shots of vodka with Deschute's NWPA myself. Northwest pale ale is def a bit different.

At a restaurant a few days ago, I flight I would be nice and ask what their craft beer selection was to avoid the dreaded long list of crap. The waitress looked at me with a blank stare and said "craft... beer?" Then looked around as if I was speaking another language and needed an interpreter.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I've had the same thing happen to me! Only I was in a liquor store in Mississippi. The conversation gets kind of awkward when you have to explain what it is. "You know, microbreweries" in quote fingers? still looked at me like I had three heads. FML

Yeah,I've gotten that around here too...the "WTF?" look. And we have a college just up the street. Good God,what's with some people? To be honest,I get better responses from the beer cooler manager guy my son,the frozen manager is buddies with. He knows his chit,mang.:tank:

I picked up a bottle each of Stone's Cali-Belgie IPA and Arrogant Bastard Ale this evening.

Yeah, they were a little hoppy for my tastes. But hey... that is Stones schtick.

I enjoyed the Arrogant Bastard more than the IPA, because the usual Stone in-your-face hops seemed like they were part of a beer big enough to handle them.

I'm a big fan of the Bastard, and I for one am glad they have a wide distribution. I can get them in Western New York. Last week I was inLA and had the latest Enjoy By... and thought it was fantastic. But my favorite of their beers is the Smoked Porter. Not a hop bomb, subtly peat smoked, and relatively sessionable (for Stone that is: 5.9% abv). Making a clone of it in a few days

"I will make it felony to drink small beer. "

I've had the same thing happen to me! Only I was in a liquor store in Mississippi. The conversation gets kind of awkward when you have to explain what it is. "You know, microbreweries" in quote fingers? still looked at me like I had three heads. FML

That was probably because liquor stores in Mississippi can't sell beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

a guy putting on a home brew class in a semi-LHBS:"You can not make beer at home like the big breweries." he was talking about quality. I paid for my stuff, laughed, and walked the flocc out.

I was going to try a recipe I had found, and it called for 6 oz of amber LME. Since I never use LME, I didn't want to buy a lot and I asked the shop guys if they sold by specific weight. He told me they did, and so I asked for 6 oz.

The smart ass behind him said, "6 ounces? Hahahahahahaha! 6 ounces? Umm...6 ounces isn't going to do anything! Just leave it out."

I mentioned color, being that the grain bill was exclusively 2-row, but he insisted it would have zero effect. I was tempted to open BeerAlchemy on my phone and show him the change with and without, but I didn't bother. I did ask him how long he had been doing all-grain, and he told me he only did extract brewing.

Then they tried to sell me regular vinyl tubing when I needed high temp tubing and asked for silicone.

This is probably one of the largest homebrew supply stores in the state.

I was going to try a recipe I had found, and it called for 6 oz of amber LME. Since I never use LME, I didn't want to buy a lot and I asked the shop guys if they sold by specific weight. He told me they did, and so I asked for 6 oz.

The smart ass behind him said, "6 ounces? Hahahahahahaha! 6 ounces? Umm...6 ounces isn't going to do anything! Just leave it out."

I mentioned color, being that the grain bill was exclusively 2-row, but he insisted it would have zero effect. I was tempted to open BeerAlchemy on my phone and show him the change with and without, but I didn't bother. I did ask him how long he had been doing all-grain, and he told me he only did extract brewing.

Then they tried to sell me regular vinyl tubing when I needed high temp tubing and asked for silicone.

I don't understand it, if he had gone on to say since your PM'ing some 2-row anyway that you could substitute it with some variety of crystal but to say leave it out completely?????

I was enjoying an Arrogant Bastard this afternoon when the guys started to show up for the party
I went to the kezzer, pulled the plug on my Fullers ESP clone, put it on one of the 2 cornies of my famous SUPER BOWL LITE, it is a American lager somewhere between a lite and a regular. You know no hops no body. I had on the other tap the last of my Xmas porter
Well, it is way into it, the porter is gone, both taps have SUPER BOWL LITE on them, about 6 guys are claiming I make the best beer in the world and are demolishing the tappers, the other 4 of us are amused at them and drinking Rouges Dead Man Ale from growlers.

LOL, I make the best beer, it is a crappy beer I do for one day a year that taste like, oh wait it has not taste.

At a restaurant a few days ago, I flight I would be nice and ask what their craft beer selection was to avoid the dreaded long list of crap. The waitress looked at me with a blank stare and said "craft... beer?" Then looked around as if I was speaking another language and needed an interpreter.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

What sucks is when they go through the long list of crap, and then suddenly they stop, because they don't have any craft beer. Then you have to get them to repeat the whole list so you can pick the least objectionable one since you weren't really paying attention the first time through.

Recently I went to our favorite Mexican hole-in-the-wall which has a decent beer selection. I asked the server what IPA's were on tap and she said "well what type of beer do you like". Felt I made that pretty clear. But I guess not.

Recently I went to our favorite Mexican hole-in-the-wall which has a decent beer selection. I asked the server what IPA's were on tap and she said "well what type of beer do you like". Felt I made that pretty clear. But I guess not.

Gotta know how the rest of that conversation went.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What place was this?

Hop City.

Geez that was a quick response. I'd easily say that isn't the biggest homebrew store in the state since it isn't a homebrew store at all. Biggest beer store in Alabama? Abso freaking lutely and I love that place. They just happen to sell some homebrew supplies. However, if you are in there and want someone serious to talk to look for Spencer, he's their homebrew guru redheaded usually with a beard.

Geez that was a quick response. I'd easily say that isn't the biggest homebrew store in the state since it isn't a homebrew store at all. Biggest beer store in Alabama? Abso freaking lutely and I love that place. They just happen to sell some homebrew supplies. However, if you are in there and want someone serious to talk to look for Spencer, he's their homebrew guru redheaded usually with a beard.

I never said it was THE biggest. I said it's probably one of the biggest. It is a home brew store being that they sell home brewing supplies, and a lot of them. They do sell a lot more beer than brewing supplies...that much is obvious. I can't say I've been to every LHBS in the state, but there aren't that many to begin with, so I've likely been to a high percentage of them. Hop City has more supplies than most of the ones in Alabama I've visited except Alabrew and one down in Montgomery whose name I can't recall, but it's been a while since I've been there and it's on the other side of Birmingham from where I drive.

I'll ask for Spencer next time...I haven't seen him the several times I've been, but I have to drive an hour to get there so I often get there after 5 or go on weekends.

My brother and I ordered 2 Alaskan Amber's at Gwinny's in Anchorage.
Waitress: Ok, 2 Alaskan Ambers, what size?
Me:What do you have?
Waitress: 12 and 16 ounces
Me: We'll have a pint then
Waitress: Oh, sorry, we don't have pints.
Me/brother: Oh, the 16 ounce will be fine then...

My brother and I burst out laughing as the waitress wondered off obvlivious to the Imperial units of measurement.

My brother and I ordered 2 Alaskan Amber's at Gwinny's in Anchorage.
Waitress: Ok, 2 Alaskan Ambers, what size?
Me:What do you have?
Waitress: 12 and 16 ounces
Me: We'll have a pint then
Waitress: Oh, sorry, we don't have pints.
Me/brother: Oh, the 16 ounce will be fine then...

My brother and I burst out laughing as the waitress wondered off oblivious to the Imperial units of measurement.

I can already see a dozen or more members lining up to say, "Well, actually...", but I suspect your interpretation of the situation is on the money, anyway.

(For the record: Well, actually, an Imperial pint is 20 ounces, not 16 ounces like the U.S. pint. Of course, an Imperial ounce is slightly smaller than the US ounce, so it's closer to 18.5 U.S. ounces (if my zeroth approximation guess is not mistaken), but that's neither here nor there; if you want an unambiguous volume for both, they are 568mL for the Imperial pint and 473mL for the U.S. pint. On the gripping hand, I understand that in the UK and most Commonwealth countries 'a pint of beer' is now as often as not just shorthand for half a liter. Go figure.)

I never said it was THE biggest. I said it's probably one of the biggest. It is a home brew store being that they sell home brewing supplies, and a lot of them. They do sell a lot more beer than brewing supplies...that much is obvious. I can't say I've been to every LHBS in the state, but there aren't that many to begin with, so I've likely been to a high percentage of them. Hop City has more supplies than most of the ones in Alabama I've visited except Alabrew and one down in Montgomery whose name I can't recall, but it's been a while since I've been there and it's on the other side of Birmingham from where I drive.

I'll ask for Spencer next time...I haven't seen him the several times I've been, but I have to drive an hour to get there so I often get there after 5 or go on weekends.

I've only ever been to alabrew other than hop city myself. I've heard of the one in Montgomery and one in north Alabama but can't remember where. Sounds like we have tye same problem with getting there lol. I can also say they've done some hiring recently so maybe the one(s) you spoke with that day would have been new hires. I've always had good experiences there myself.btheyve always been more than eager to help and accommodate.

I understand that in the UK and most Commonwealth countries 'a pint of beer' is now as often as not just shorthand for half a liter. Go figure.)

I don't know where you understand that from but in the uk at least anything sold as a pint must be a pint. If it's sold as 1/2 a litre it cannot be sold in a pint glass bearing an official weights and measures stamp confirming it is an imperial pint.

Can't speak for the commonwealth but I know for sure that isn't the case here in blighty.

I don't know where you understand that from but in the uk at least anything sold as a pint must be a pint. If it's sold as 1/2 a litre it cannot be sold in a pint glass bearing an official weights and measures stamp confirming it is an imperial pint.

Can't speak for the commonwealth but I know for sure that isn't the case here in blighty.

We don't have stringent regulations. Heck, I was recently in a hole-in-the-wall that i happen to love and switched from draft to bottle. I decided I wanted to drink from my glass so I poured the 12oz bottle into the glass, and filled it. Wtf? 14oz glasses.

Ah, I was misinformed. Thank you for the correction.

+1

Also, more often than not, I will recieve the pint in a glass with the brewery's name on it, as well as the measurement. However, there is a pub down the road that has one of my steins hanging behind the bar, they fill it with Bitter when I walk in, and wash it when I Leave.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Home Brew mobile app

+1

Also, more often than not, I will recieve the pint in a glass with the brewery's name on it, as well as the measurement. However, there is a pub down the road that has one of my steins hanging behind the bar, they fill it with Bitter when I walk in, and wash it when I Leave.

Damn! You must provide them with some serious business!

Imperial pint = 20 oz
US pint = 16 oz
Liter= 33.81oz
Therefore a US pint is closer to half a liter than an Imperial pint

+1

It's nice when your local pub knows you so well. :mug:

On the gripping hand...

XS5LK.gif

Big fan of Niven, Mote was my first foray into CoDominium.

+1

Years ago in Idyllwild, CA, there was a bar where regulars could buy their own backed barstool, complete with their name on a little brass plaque. If they weren't around anyone could use it. But when they came in and told a tourist, "excuse me, but you're sitting in my chair," and the tourist came back with "oh, really? Does it have your name on it?" the regular got to say, "matter of fact...." :D

+1

Had one of those in college. They had a mug club where you earned a mug with your name on it, exemption from covers, and didnt have to wait in line at the bar. I once brought some friends to the bar and said "This is my (favorite) bar". We walked up to the bar and the tender was already pouring my first beer. We sat at the table and they noticed my name on it. I got a chuckle when they said "Wow, this really is your bar."

What sucks is when they go through the long list of crap, and then suddenly they stop, because they don't have any craft beer. Then you have to get them to repeat the whole list so you can pick the least objectionable one since you weren't really paying attention the first time through.

Nice drive from San Diego (craft beer mecca) to Blythe CA. Arrive hot and dusty from the trail (eh-hem)...Siddle on into the "Red Cactus" Saloon. They have all the cold and gold taps and the rest of their offerings refrigerated in glass all along the back of the bar. At first glance I'm like cool - its still Cali, gonna be some good stuff...NOT! Notta frigin thing next to Blue Moon and the like...

I'll have a Guiness (draft). (I didn't make her run the list - I could see it from the bar.) The young bar maid, pulled it, left it on the bar - it settled by the time it reach my table....a full inch under the brim. I'm like "um, um" about to say something, but the attitude coming from the young overwhelmed bar maid... I said thanks...just not worth it.

Damn! You must provide them with some serious business!

Just a pint on the way home from work. Lots of people do it here. There is like 17 mugs hanging back there. I love it.

Me and a buddy were tasting our first attempt at a hard cider and it came out tasting a lot like some prison hooch. So he says man if we can make whiskey out of apples just think what we could do with a still

Nice drive from San Diego (craft beer mecca) to Blythe CA. Arrive hot and dusty from the trail (eh-hem)...Siddle on into the "Red Cactus" Saloon. They have all the cold and gold taps and the rest of their offerings refrigerated in glass all along the back of the bar. At first glance I'm like cool - its still Cali, gonna be some good stuff...NOT! Notta frigin thing next to Blue Moon and the like...

I'll have a Guiness (draft). (I didn't make her run the list - I could see it from the bar.) The young bar maid, pulled it, left it on the bar - it settled by the time it reach my table....a full inch under the brim. I'm like "um, um" about to say something, but the attitude coming from the young overwhelmed bar maid... I said thanks...just not worth it.

It's the "Red Cactus Bar & Grill" restaurant, not a saloon. It's the newest place in town, and they're earnestly working at being a bit upscale without pricing themselves out of the market. But that's a fine line, in the middle of the desert three miles from Arizona. You should've been impressed they had Blue Moon and Guiness....;)

Next time you come through, stop at Discount liquor - especially if you're getting a motel room for the night. It looks almost as seedy as it sounds, but don't let that put you off; it has a shockingly wide selection of booze for a small-town store.

Head for the small coolers flanking the doorway to the back room, and you'll find beers from Arrogant Bastard to smoked porters, to Belgian imports - including several lambics, Goolden Drak, Bokrijks Kruikenbier and Hoogstraten Poorter (the last two in stoneware bottles that I save and reuse).

It's not as cheap as Bevmo, in spite of the name. But after all, it is the middle of the desert...:)

I gave the owners one of my homebrews a couple of days ago; haven't been back by to see what they thought of it.

Imperial pint = 20 oz
US pint = 16 oz
Liter= 33.81oz
Therefore a US pint is closer to half a liter than an Imperial pint

Next time I get offered a size choice (16oz or 32oz) I'll order a US Pint just to see what kind of conversation starts with the server.

Me last night:
Oh crap I got to figure out the next brew and get it planned soon. Only 1 week till the keg is carbed, then 3-4 before the current keg blows (depending on company coming over) so I need to have something in the next keg so I am only drinking store bought for 1 week instead of 2-3...

SWMBO: (rolls eyes) you are nuts.

Next time you come through, stop at Discount liquor - especially if you're getting a motel room for the night. It looks as seedy as it sounds, but don't let that put you off; it has a shockingly wide selection of booze for a small-town store.

Head for the small coolers flanking the doorway to the back room, and you'll find beers from Arrogant Bastard to smoked porters, to Belgian imports - including several lambics, Goolden Drak, Bokrijks Kruikenbier and Hoogstraten Poorter (the last two in stoneware bottles that I save and reuse).

It's not as cheap as Bevmo, in spite of the name. But after all, it is the middle of the desert...:)

I'm reminded of a bit from a certain Gonzo Journalist's famous book, during a stop-off in a desert town:

Hunter S. Thompson said:
I looked across the road and saw a huge red sign that said BEER. Wonderful. I left the Shark by the phone booth and reeled across the highway into the Hardware Barn. A Jew loomed up from behind a pile of sprockets and asked me what I wanted.

"Ballantine Ale," I said ... a very mystic long shot, unknown between Newark and San Francisco.

He served it up, ice-cold.

I relaxed. Suddenly everything was going right; I was finally getting the breaks.
Of course, you have to recall that Ballantine was about as close to a craft beer that you could get in the U.S. in 1972; even Fritz hadn't finished his re-building of Anchor at that time, and New Albion was four years in the future.

It's the "Red Cactus Bar & Grill" restaurant, not a saloon. It's the newest place in town, and they're earnestly working at being a bit upscale without pricing themselves out of the market. But that's a fine line, in the middle of the desert three miles from Arizona. You should've been impressed they had Blue Moon and Guiness....;)

Next time you come through, stop at Discount liquor - especially if you're getting a motel room for the night. It looks as seedy as it sounds, but don't let that put you off; it has a shockingly wide selection of booze for a small-town store.

I was once in Blythe due to an event I was attending in Quartzite, Az. I went to check into a hotel/motel and the entire commercial size glass door fell out of it's frame as I opened it. I'm under it with hands up trying to keep the damn thing from crushing all 125# of me. Lol best thing I found in Blythe, Quartzite area is Maria's if it's still open.

Latest posts

Back