Bad Zymurgy, bad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
So I just discovered why reading Zymurgy when you brew is a bad thing. I was waiting for my boil to finish and I was reading about the toasted hops beer and I noticed something. This is an APA in here, I’m making an APA. This is a very similar to the recipe that I’m using too. I have a lot of hops in my freezer I don’t know what to do with. F* the recipe I was using I’m going to change it up mid boil. So into the toaster oven the hops go (conversely out of the room the SWMBO goes, oh well) and I now have toasted hops beer.
It should be interesting. This is a batch I planed to boil the alcohol out of anyway, I will see how it comes out.

Other than boiling the alcohol out, keep us posted...

I read the same article, although not while brewing. I was interested, but I worry about you trying to boil the alcohol out. PLEASE: Taste it before doing that unmentionable heinous crime to your beer and report back!

Ah, the impresionable brewer, easily swayed by the media.....:D

I don't know anything about that....er......except for me brewing my cream ale recipe with half a pound of tortilla chips in it because I was short a half pound of flaked maize, and I was listenning to the "Iron Brewer" episode of basic brewing, and thought "what the heck." :rolleyes:

I tasted it at bottling a week ago and it tasted fine. Can't wait to see when it's carbed and conditioned.

I don't know anything about that....er......except for me brewing my cream ale recipe with half a pound of tortilla chips in it because I was short a half pound of flaked maize.

Ok Revvy, that just sounds plain disgusting...:drunk:

Ok Revvy, that just sounds plain disgusting...:drunk:

Agreed!!!
Also, won't the oil in the chips and grease kill head retention? Who knows, you could be onto the next big thing. Guess you'll never know till you try! :mug:

I have yet to even glean over my copy. Have had it a week now and carried it with me to work everyday. No time. No time.

I'm actually curious about boiling the alcohol out... Are you kegging? I'm assuming so or you couldn't carb...

I have done this before with a stout and it tasted pretty good. you just have to keep an eye on the temperature so you know when most of the alcohol is gone. 170 I think is the BP.
Yes I am kegging, mostly because I can. If you want to bottle just cool and repitch some yeast.
There are a few threads on here about non-alcohol beer if you search.
I will let you know how the toasting comes out too.

I have done this before with a stout and it tasted pretty good. you just have to keep an eye on the temperature so you know when most of the alcohol is gone. 170 I think is the BP.
Yes I am kegging, mostly because I can. If you want to bottle just cool and repitch some yeast.
There are a few threads on here about non-alcohol beer if you search.
I will let you know how the toasting comes out too.

Have you had good results with this technique? I think that it would be very difficult to effectively boil off a significant portion of the alcohol, let alone the majority of it.

From Ken Schwartz's website

4) ...brew a normal-strength beer, then heat to evaporate the alcohol. Jack Schmidling wrote an article on this a while back (available on-line at The Brewery) and the method has been repeated in several other media. The idea is that since alcohol boils at about 175F (80C), and water boils at 212F (100C), the alcohol can be selectively removed while leaving the "rest" of the beer behind. The resulting product can be kegged or primed and bottled (add fresh yeast since you just killed the original colony!).

In HBD #1609, Maribeth Raines reports on her UV spectrophotometric assay analysis of alcohol content after applying this method to homebrew. The results she obtained indicated that in no case (including a half-hour of vigorous boiling!) did the alcohol reduce below 2% abv, calling into question the usefulness of this technique (though under controlled "lab" conditions she did have a brief success in achieving 0.5% abv -- please visit the HBD archive to see her full report). In addition, my own experience, as well as that of others having reported in the HBD in the past, is that other deleterious effects such as off-flavors, oxidation, and reduction of hop character can and do occur. If I'm only going to reduce to 2% abv, I'll stick with my low-gravity/160F mash schedule.

Why doesn't this method work well? Remember that water boils at 212F (at sea level), yet a pot of water at 212F will not just suddenly disappear -- it takes time. Same with alcohol -- it will take a long time to remove the majority of the alcohol. At the same time, evaporation of water will accelerate at 175F, so you lose water along with the alcohol. Over the period of time it takes to reduce the alcohol to very low levels, a lot of water will be lost as well. Certainly that can be made up with fresh water, but the point is that 15 minutes probably won't do it; according to Raines, it probably can't be done in the kitchen at all.

Eric

I don't know anything about that....er......except for me brewing my cream ale recipe with half a pound of tortilla chips in it because I was short a half pound of flaked maize, and I was listenning to the "Iron Brewer" episode of basic brewing, and thought "what the heck." :rolleyes:

I tasted it at bottling a week ago and it tasted fine. Can't wait to see when it's carbed and conditioned.

Nacho Cheese lip smacking good!

Sorry for the OT

Dry hop with habanero peppers ?

jason

Back