Beer SNOBBERY(where do I get my card?)/DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I.....am a card carrying beer snob. Only I don't have a card. Anyone know where to get one?;)

My latest Pet Peeve.

DIPA..........

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but this style refers to an IMPERIAL IPA.....

Double is not double the hops or malt (necessarilly), but rather the double "I" (Imperial India...).

In speech it saves a little tongue work, I will give you that. Imperial IPA is a mouthfull, double IPA rolls off a little easier.

But written?????(as most everything on this site is) Why put DIPA instead of IIPA? It actually takes more space and you have to hit 1 more letter(insignificant I know, but if it saves a negative fraction of a second to put DIPA...then really WTF?)

DIPA is something I put on my 2 year old's ass, while IIPA is a thing of beauty.

Thanks for listening!

:mug:

I'm not sure what happened to your card, thought I sent that. I'll update your membership information with your thoughts on Double IPAs and get it right out. As always, thanks for being one of our top contributors!

Of note, I see that your membership is about to expire. Please be sure to get your annual dues to me ASAP. Have a blessed day!

The only Imperial beer in my book is Russian Imperial Stout. I really don't care for the whole Imperial fad... what's next, an Imperial Mild? There is a category for those beers already - it's called "Specialty Beers".

please don't be a snob. Nobody likes a snob. Snobs are ass holes. Let us be beer geeks.

I think you're wrong in that the word "double" refers to the letter "I" and not to the beer's strength (of which the word "Imperial" serves the same purpose, and thus the two are interchangeable).

I think you're wrong in that the word "double" refers to the letter "I" and not to the beer's strength (of which the word "Imperial" serves the same purpose, and thus the two are interchangeable).

That was my understanding but I was too afraid of being cast out as a noob by all the snobs to answer. ;)

That was my understanding but I was too afraid of being cast out as a noob by all the snobs to answer. ;)

I'm a noob among snobs myself, but I'm pretty sure "double" is synonymous with "Imperial."

This is what the BJCP has to say about it all:

BJCP said:
History: A recent American innovation reflecting the trend of American craft brewers “pushing the envelope” to satisfy the need of hop aficionados for increasingly intense products. The adjective “Imperial” is arbitrary and simply implies a stronger version of an IPA; “double,” “extra,” “extreme,” or any other variety of adjectives would be equally valid.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c

I woudn't go so far as to openly admit to being a noob. I'm a beer geek. 10th level to be exact. :ban:

Yeah, I guess noob is a relative term.

Someone here said it best, and I'm paraphrasing: "To my friends I'm a beer geek, but to other beer geeks I'm a noob."

First. In my book snob generally equates to ass hat who thinks he knows more about beer than he/she actually does. See my blog for my feelings about beer snobbery and how it makes you look like an idiot every time.

Second. What is an Imperial beer? Why is it imperial? If you are talking about Imperial IPA, why is that imperial? What is Imperial about a beer style created on the west coast of the US?

Imperial is a term that is used to describe something that relates to an empire, emperor, or the concept of imperialism.

Is IIPA taking over the beer world? Was it commissioned by an Emperor, Empress, etc? Is California and Empire?

No. Russian Imperial stout was a style made specifically for the Emperor, or Czar, of Russia, and for a time truly was an imperial beer. Because that beer was a bigger version of a stout, people started associating imperial with any big style of a regular beer. Hence, IIPA. It is completely arbitrary. ... Just like a DIPA. In fact, I think double makes 100% more sense because it at lease suggests the beer is bigger or double the original style of beer. While it does not mean it is literally twice the hops etc. at least it shows the meaning and intention of the beer.

Or maybe a beer dead set on the subservience of other beers makes more sense...

Either way, beer snobs rile my feathers.

I had to do a double take of this thread... I thought my post was deleted, but then I realized, you made a separate thread out of your whining in another post...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dipa-hop-schedule-147341/

Your latest pet peeve is over 3 weeks old.. get over it...

You even used the same tired ass diaper "joke" from your last post.

<edit>Handle pasted the same thing I pasted in my original post in the other thread.. sorry, didn't see you posting that</edit>

I had to do a double take of this thread... I thought my post was deleted, but then I realized, you made a separate thread out of your whining in another post...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dipa-hop-schedule-147341/

Your latest pet peeve is over 3 weeks old.. get over it...

You even used the same tired ass diaper "joke" from your last post.

I'll paste part of what I wrote in the last thread..

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1c

I see you quoted the same exact passage I did -- hope you don't think I was stealing your thunder, as I had never seen that thread. :mug:

The only thing worse than a beer snob is an inaccurate beer snob. ;)

II - PA
get it two (2) I's

as in double the normal amount

any whoever said Imperial Mild... Genius. I know what I am brewing next.

I motion that, in order to dispell all confusion surrounding this beer style, we just call it a Strong India Pale Ale (SIPA).

All in favor, say "Aye, aye."

I dont have an issue with the whole DIPA thing. BUT and that is a big BUT why not just put IIPA its the exact same amount of letters. And yeah I agree, there should really only be 2 Imperial beers IIPA's and RIS' . And ill make an exception for Avery BRewings The Kaiser, an IMperial Marzen. Its amazing

dosen't rouge make an "imperial" pilsner?

so does Sam Adams, Terrapin, Dogfish, etc...

screw names lets just call it all beer.

I am fine with calling things Imperial as long as those doing the naming know it is an arbitrary term. The hoodwinking that has been done with the IIPA moniker is almost as good as the blue moon being Belgian falsehood. IIPA was produced in the USA. Not so much imperialism in Cali;)

I personally prefer to use the term "double" for extreme examples of a style because it's just more descriptive (if not always completely literal.) Using Imperial takes away from the lineage of the RIS. I don't care enough to really rant about it but if I were to brew a bigger IPA it would be a DIPA in print and word... I think there is good precedent for this with the old markings of XX for stronger beers in England and use of dubbel and trippel in Belgium for beers that are not truly double or triple the strength.

DIPA..........

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but this style refers to an IMPERIAL IPA.....

Fine, you ARE wrong. As has been pointed out, "Imperial" is an even more arbitrary label than "Double", taken simply from the fact that an Imperial Stout is a big stout. There is no such thing as a traditional Imperial IPA, it's a modern invention without a clear established name, so calling it "Double" is perfectly correct.

Really, you need to get over yourself.

While we are at it, how about a beer labeled Black IPA? There are a few I've ran into.

A black, pale ale? Just doesn't seem right. Why not IDA (India Dark Ale)?

I personally prefer to use the term "double" for extreme examples of a style because it's just more descriptive (if not always completely literal.) Using Imperial takes away from the lineage of the RIS. I don't care enough to really rant about it but if I were to brew a bigger IPA it would be a DIPA in print and word... I think there is good precedent for this with the old markings of XX for stronger beers in England and use of dubbel and trippel in Belgium for beers that are not truly double or triple the strength.

Good points.

I am fine with calling things Imperial as long as those doing the naming know it is an arbitrary term. The hoodwinking that has been done with the IIPA moniker is almost as good as the blue moon being Belgian falsehood. IIPA was produced in the USA. Not so much imperialism in Cali;)

You'll be shocked to learn that most IPA is indeed not brewed for consumption in India.

F*cking semantics.

Are we really arguing about this?

IT'S BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just going to throw this out there to add more confusion.

Many of you may already know this also.

The true/origional IPA as it was intended/why it was created was probably closer to what we call IIPA/DIPA. (Loving the use of /'s?)

The purpose was to creat a beer that could withstand/be ready to drink by the time ships got to or were ready to leave India after traveling from England. Higher ABV. and higher BTU ensured the beer would not spoil in the heat and long travel time. Also by the time most of it would be drank the hops may have become less bitter than how we drink it now. The lower bitterness would be caused by the time and heat aging the beer.

Where did cheezydemon3 run off to?

I notice he never offered a rebuttal when someone pointed out his error in the other thread three weeks ago.

Slacker.jpg

...Brew or go to bed.

If it's such an "extreme," 'envelope-pushing' beverage, then call i t"

XIPA!

ever hear of an extreme imperial mild (alluded to previously)?
if not, order a XIMA!!!!!

I don't care what its called but I had a guy at a liquor store tell me they were different beers. Two different names leads to confusion. The beer industry should standardize the names. Probably needs a six sigma initiative. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back