BBQ Pork Sammies Thread #2 - NC Style wet sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Normally I use Sweet Baby Rays or attempt to make a sauce from the drippings, but I want to make a NC style drippy wet sauce as opposed to the thicker stuff like Rays or KC Masterpiece.

Anyone have a good homemade sauce for this? I'm thinking about smoking a shoulder this weekend and would love some sauce tips.

Normally I use Sweet Baby Rays or attempt to make a sauce from the drippings, but I want to make a NC style drippy wet sauce as opposed to the thicker stuff like Rays or KC Masterpiece.

Anyone have a good homemade sauce for this? I'm thinking about smoking a shoulder this weekend and would love some sauce tips.

EdWort's sauce is awesome on pulled pork sandwiches. I like that the flavor doesn't step all over the pork, just complements it. I usually use brown sugar instead of the turbinado, just because I always have it around for my dry rubs. Be sure to make it a few days in advance, so the flavors can meld. Check it out here.

1 1/2cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2-4 Tbs sugar(to taste)
1 Tbs hot pepper flakes
1 small Vidalia onion sliced very thin
1 1/2 Tbs sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
****Optional*** Ketchup to taste***

This will do a 4-6lb shoulder

I don't use the ketchup as I love it without it

Rub the shoulder in
1 Tbs Paprika
1 Tbs sea salt
1 Tbs fresh ground black pepper

Spray or mop with a mixture of apple cider and cider vinegar with a little bourbon, salt, worcestershire sauce and lemon juice

Back