Need help converting recipe from fresh fruit to puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerRunner

Reaction score
My brother and I will start a 12 gallon batch of "Mambo In Your Mouth" soon. I bought a bunch of puree, but don't know how much to use in place of the fresh fruit from the original recipe in The Joy Of Homebrewing. Any advice?

Thanks, Lee

I'd use the puree in the same weight as the fresh fruit calls for. 3 lbs of fruit is 3 lbs of fruit, regardless of if it's fresh or freshly pureed. I would, however, recommend putting the puree in a nylon bag/hop sack or something of the like when you add to your primary. If you don't it'll be a lot more of a pain to rack. If it's in a sack then it'll be a lot easier to remove when all is said and done.

Well that makes sense. Thanks.
The only time it'd make any difference is if there's other ingredients in the puree. But normally, if you take 1lb of fruit and blitz it, you end up with 1lb of puree.

If the fruit is, say, cherries, then you'd end up with something slightly more concentrate i.e. 1lb of whole cherry, would probably give 1/2lb of pitted, puree'd cherry, so 1lb of puree'd cherry would be the same as 2lb of whole etc etc......

The difference ? would be a probably higher sugar level/gravity in liquid, higher concentration of fruit flavour/colour/aroma etc etc

Don't forget, you can even split the weight of puree, so half is in the primary and the rest added to secondary, which should make for a more fruity tasting batch, that's drinkable earlier than might otherwise be the case.....

I don't think a pound of Purree is the same as a pound of fruit. I think puree is the pulp after the juice is extracted. There doesn't seem to be much juice in a can of puree. I have used puree in making sour beers and I didn't find that I got much flavor from it. I think puree is good for the tannins, etc. but I think you will still some juice for the flavor.

Latest posts

Back