Custom Kegorater???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutine Bullfrog

Bullfrog Brewers
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking to build a custom size kegorater, which will act as a bar counter with tap on top about 4 feet wide by 2 feet deep and 4 feet high. I can build the box and counter but I'm not sure how to cool it. Should I try to get the works from an old ice box or is their something sold that I could use to cool the box. Also, has anyone done this with any success

Thanks

I have a standard fridge at one end of my bar and I ran a 2" dia. tubing loop from the fridge, up into my tower and back to the fridge. The beer lines run through this (about 4 ft) and I have a small fan that circulates cold air through the loop. The tubing is encased in 2" of foam insulation. I believe air cooled systems are generally acceptable to up to 10 ft (depending on insulation and blower size). Anything longer than that and you'll need a glycol cooled line.

You can pull the freezer (cooling coils) out of a dorm fridge along with the compressor and the radiator thingummybob - pull it all out as one unit then build a new, bigger box around it. I'd use a lot more insulation than the original fridge, though.

You can pull the freezer (cooling coils) out of a dorm fridge along with the compressor and the radiator thingummybob - pull it all out as one unit then build a new, bigger box around it. I'd use a lot more insulation than the original fridge, though.

I did this too! - for my "portable" beer serving cart/fermentation chamber. It's portable in that I can haul it out of my basement into my back yard for our annual pig roast. I suppose it might fit in my car with the lid off. It works great so far.

Take a look in my gallery. I've got two pics of how it was when it was strictly chilled with ice. The wood collar and top lift off for easy moving. Also in there are a series of photos showing my destruction of a brand new mini-fridge and intalling it in the cart. I ended up adding a couple more inches (height) of foam so I still need to add a second small collar to the cart. I need to get on that as the top part is taking up valuable basement floor space right now.

Here's one of the photos. I also have a couple photos of installing my remote beer tower in my bar.
4715-Cart1.jpg

The base is a recycled propane grill base.

Back