One Entrepreneur Wanted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groove_Rock

Reaction score
Hello all. First time post on homebrewtaok, long time reader.

I'm 24 years old and I've been out of school for about a year and a half now. After appying for jobs in all levels of every related industry to beer, wine, and other distribution companies, heck I even got turned down from a sake plant, I have come up with nothing. Currently I'm working full time, with a pricey college degree in food and beverage management, as a painter. Go figure.

Over the past year I've really spent alot of time deciding what I want to do with my life. I had dreams since I started grain brewing when I was 18 to go to school, get my degree, and then work my way through the brewing industry from the bottom up...reasonable idea, yes? but since large companies such as Dogfish only have about 150 employees, why would they even look at a recent college grad who's only brewing experience is in bootlegging and illegal underage brewing..so with no "experience" to put on my resume, I can say I've had my fair share of disappointment. I applied at budweiser for a tour guide job, not glamorous but hey, I thought it would be real great contact with the brewers and I can even stay late and help clean for free just for the experience! Not. I show up to the interview and they inform me that the position had been filled (clearly by someone less qualified than myself haha) and that I was more than welcome to apply for "gift shop cashier"...I'm definitely just a little overqualified fir that position at this point in my life...

...long story short, I won't be applying for a job working with people providing a sure sign of a good time...instead of BEER!!!! I was pissed at the way human resources handled that whole situation.

Sorry for the ramble, back to my point.

I've taken out a loan. I'm shopping now and eventually buying brewery equipment.

After crunching all the numbers and finalizing my business plan, I realize that this is something I can't do alone. There's just too much work for one man.

I'm posting here to ask if there is anyone in Massachusetts interested in a partnership for starting up a microbrewery. The hard work you read about is already done. I have all the MA licenses and permits needed. I am extremely business minded and I am seeking a hardworking individual who wants to be successful. And I am going to be successful, I just need to be given the chance that I have not yet been given. I feel sorry for every brewery I applied for. I really have no other option in this economy...well I can paint the rest of my life, but no.

so anyways, I'm not quite sure if I've reached my point...

Contact me if you are in Massachusetts and you are interested in brewing beer for a living. Or contact me if you are in the same boat as me...college degree, no experience, no job.

There's beers to be had,

Bryan

So 42 people have read, and no one cares to brew beer?

Lol

not sure I understand this website

..thanks Sam hain.

No offense, but with only two posts and misspelling Homebrew Talk in your first sentence of the first post it's smells like spam in here. If your offer is legit then we wish you the best of luck. You may want to check out probrewer.com and see if the folks there can help you out.

Cheers and good luck,

I had typed something out but it's not worth posting.

I'm just looking for good people who want to brew beer for a living or at least get some experience in the industry. Sorry if you overlooked me because you thought it was spam, that's ignorant.

And good luck with your home brews

I too first thought this was spam. I was gonna post a wiseass remark.

But if you are legit and are bankrolling this thing, like it reads, and are looking for help, or a minority partner trading labor for your investment, then I am suprised no one showed any interest either. So you say you have your licenses? Where is the home of this future brewery?

Nope, not spam

Legit and bankrolling. Lol

Yup, all licenses and permits.

And this will be in Chelmsford MA to start. Future plans are for a brewpub once a market has been established. Again, I went to a culinary school so good food is just as close to my heart as the brews....so the beers will be aimed towards pairing with food rather than most other breweries lately who have been brewing these "extreme" beers that most people just buy one six pack of and then say yea that's good, but I think I'll go with something else next time.

All that's left to do is finalizing the logo and labels, and tweaking the recipes I've created over the years to work with the new equipment.

As far as any other details we can discuss it through ?"pm"?

You're young and full of piss and vinegar. That's great. Go get em. To better understand this website is that there are going to be a few thousand people that read this thread and think you're either scamming or completely nuts before one person takes it seriously, if at all. This is a homebrewing focused site and although several homebrewers that have posted here have ultimately gone pro, it's the exception to the rule. Perhaps you felt like your story was rare and compelling and that your PM box was going to fill up a second after you posted. I'm afraid this is the first dose of reality with many to come.

This isn't to say that you can't be successful, but your a stranger amongst a thousand others with a big dream. The odds are stacked. Good luck all the same.

Lol thanks, I'm actually not a stranger...

And I've had plenty of doses of reality this far, starting a business isn't easy

And I love that thousands of these strangers have the same dream, the reason I'm posting here...woah...mcfly?

...and even tho I bet it made you feel good about yourself and your own job to let me know that I have a good chance for failing, I still have a 1/2 bl homebrew system that I still use...and people still buy my beer. I have cash flow, not much, but i havent paid for beer in over 3 years.

I think you missed my main point, im trying to help someone else...Im not scamming and im certainly not looking for your help or negative advice, understand?

If you are going to post in this thread please keep it related to the title. Please.

I'm looking for a business partner, if that's not you please move on

If I don't find anyone here, I will find someone somewhere else it's not a big deal

Again, I'm trying to help someone else out

Thank you

And I just read your profile, I'm assuming you work at the brewery in your picture?

...if thats true, you are the first person in the industry who wasn't excited to see a new brewery

My mom always told me it doesn't cost anything to be nice

Enjoy your jersey beer. We aren't in the same market so you don't have to feel afraid of the competition. But isn't that what drives this business?

Wait don't answer that

Groove_Rock said:
...and even tho I bet it made you feel good about yourself and your own job to let me know that I have a good chance for failing, I still have a 1/2 bl homebrew system that I still use...and people still buy my beer. I have cash flow, not much, but i havent paid for beer in over 3 years.

I don't think Bobby needs your imaginary brewery to fail to feel good about himself. Also, are saying you sell Homebrew?

No, none of your assumptions are correct. I was commenting on the fact that you seemed confused as to why no one on this site is jumping at your offer and trying to explain why that was.

I see, sorry to jump at you bobby... it just seems like all everyone wants to do is make fun because I'm not part of your Internet club.

...i still can't get a grasp on that reason, why people need to look around these forums just to start Internet fights...some guy talking **** from las Vegas...I'm pretty sure I posted in a Massachusetts forum, so go figure.

But I'll entertain him, hes the type of personality that needs to have the last word in order to feel accomplished....2500 miles away haha

Imaginary brewery? Lol yes you could say I have a "homebrew" system. I built and welded it with my own hands.

No I'm not selling homebrew. Can you please keep up with the forum of youre going to be a jerk about me being here in the first place? As I had explained in a few, yes a few, previous postS - plural- that I have my licenses and permits to manufacture, package, and distribute malt beverages in massachusetts. Not las vegas, massachusetts. I have recently got a loan and am upgrading to larger equipment.

Um, this is fun. I'm pretty sure nothing I said in my first post warrants the ridicule...I understand the spammer nonsense but I think we've established pretty clearly that I could care less about sending penis enlargement method emails to you guys, even though I think some may be tough online to compensate.

Full of piss and vinegar, yes. Lol I'm angry because it's been a rough road getting a job in this ec

I see, sorry to jump at you bobby... it just seems like all everyone wants to do is make fun because I'm not part of your Internet club.

...i still can't get a grasp on that reason, why people need to look around these forums just to start Internet fights...some guy talking **** from las Vegas...I'm pretty sure I posted in a Massachusetts forum, so go figure.

But I'll entertain him, hes the type of personality that needs to have the last word in order to feel accomplished....2500 miles away haha

Imaginary brewery? Lol yes you could say I have a "homebrew" system. I built and welded it with my own hands.

No I'm not selling homebrew. Can you please keep up with the forum of youre going to be a jerk about me being here in the first place? As I had explained in a few, yes a few, previous postS - plural- that I have my licenses and permits to manufacture, package, and distribute malt beverages in massachusetts. Not las vegas, massachusetts. I have recently got a loan and am upgrading to larger equipment.

Um, this is fun. I'm pretty sure nothing I said in my first post warrants the ridicule...I understand the spammer nonsense but I think we've established pretty clearly that I could care less about sending penis enlargement method emails to you guys, even though I think some may be tough online to compensate.

Full of piss and vinegar, yes. Lol I'm angry because it's been a rough road getting a job in this ecOnomy when I know I'm very qualified. I graduated with a 3.4 gpa and I've worked manual labor my whole life. I'm smart enough, passionate, and a hardworking person who just wants to be successful.

So please like I said before...unless you have those few qualities that I just listed do not post here because this is the last message going to send to entertain some of the jerks.

...gunna get your last word in? Copy and paste something I say? Haha :)

Sorry again bobby, I did ask for your response didn't I?

Well, I AM certainly in the same boat as you. I graduated college a few years ago, worked some jobs I have utterly hated, all the while homebrewing beer and loving every minute of it. Over the years I have been gradually accumulating brewing equipment to make the push into nanobrewing. I have a 1.5 barrel system custom built out of stainless steel shipping drums that I currently use to brew 10-20 gallons batches. As a homebrewer I can only brew at about 1/100 capacity on that system, if that.

I would be interested in meeting you, if only to talk shop, although a collaboration is not out of the question by any means. PM me if you're interested.

Some of the behavior you've run into in this thread is not unique to this thread. Every once in a while a poster will post something like this, and will be met with skepticism. I think some of the skepticism here is part of the culture of this forum and of homebrewing in general. Because homebrewers tend to be very helpful and generous people, they are always willing to share advice and opinions. To those very helpful individuals, threads like this seem to be asking a question, namely, "Can I start a microbrewery?" and to them, the answer is, "No, probably not."

I think every homebrewer has dreamed (either openly or secretly) of going pro, and many of those people have looked seriously at it and come to the conclusion that it wouldn't work for them. Either they don't have the money, time, initiative, will, etc. to do what they have decided the endeavor would require, or they think that putting in that time and effort would make the enjoyable hobby that is homebrewing into more of a chore, and therefore not worth doing as a career.

I think these people who would tell you that you can't start a brewery are 75% genuinely trying to help you, 25% threatened/envious of the possibility that you might succeed - they've looked into it for themselves, and because it doesn't make sense for them, they've judged that it doesn't make sense period. They want to save you from wasting your time and energy on something that won't happen. AND they'd feel like horses asses if they wrote off starting a brewery themselves because they thought it was impossible only to see you succeed. Like I said, people here are always looking to give helpful advice to other homebrewers - they are good people. Does that mean that their advice is as true for you as it is for them? Of course not. If you (or I) think it can be done, then by all means go for it. Just be aware that the road ahead is not an easy one.

Have you tried probrewer.com? They're a very helpful group and generally more interested in the professional side of things. Plus, people post resumes & such all the time looking for partners and/or brewing gigs. Many brew-school grads with decent experience.

This is a great thread. Didn't we have one where the guy wanted you to put in all the money but he had 'awesome' recipes that were gonna make both of you rich?

Btw, being a part of any club is dependent upon first impressions. Your's is full of attitude. Who do you expect to take that seriously? Hmm, let me put my dream in the hands of a guy who can't accept even subtle criticism without snapping at everyone. Yeah, sure.

Well, this IS the internet. 40 billion scams deep and there are still people who question a skeptical take? Skeptical first until otherwise convinced, ESPECIALLY in regard to getting into business with someone. Frankly, I wouldn't partner with my best friends in business.

piss and vinegar
(idiomatic) Exuberance or enthusiasm, especially to an excessive degree; bravado; youthful energy.

first of all.......careful man, theres a beverage here.

secondly.........let me be clear

.....................for the last time

1) i dont want to be part of your internet club because there is only a handful of people on here who are decent people not looking for a fake fight with someone theyll never meet - i can assure you that none of these things would be said to my face - hide behind your ****ty avatar picture

2) i have the money

3) i have the business plan

4) where is the scam?

5) i have looked on probrewer, thanks for the suggestions

6)i am a home brewer who has a license in massachusetts to manufacture, package, and distribute....without the three tier distribution system to boot. Where is the fine line between a probrewer and a homebrewer? honestly i dont care. Ive had some damn good home brews...and ive also had some damn good commercially produced brews as well so you who judge are not in my target market and honestly i hope you hate my beer

7) i am looking for help from people who are interested in being an entrepreneur. people with enough ballsack to leave the jobs that are making them miserable, miserable because they see a 24 year old making the kind of moves they will never have the balls to make, when they are sitting at their computer stealing recipes from other forums and posting them as their own....reading threads on the troubleshooting forum because they cant figure out why the beer they fermented in the 5 gallon glass primary for over a month tastes like ass.....Ive heard of wine on the lee's...ha!

8,9,10) Im looking for a partner. An equal partner. an entrepreneur.

Ive invested a good amount of my life reading every book and magazine I can find on beer and chemistry. I went to college to study everything about alcohol. I cant put a price on the knowledge ive acquired over the years, I cant put a price on all the things im about to learn in this business venture either. So asking for money is just ridiculous because most cant afford whats been spent anyway.

If you have no desire to be a business man, as well as a brewer you have no business here.

First, good luck in your venture. That said, a few pieces of unsolicited advice.

You're trying to catch bees but using vinegar as bait. Stop telling everybody about your brewing prowess and your education. Puffing your chest and pounding it not only turns people off, it's also highly unprofessional.

Show just a smidgen of humility.

And last, but certainly not least, while this may be an Internet forum, please, for the love of God, use proper grammar, punctuation and capitalization. Consider this a beginner's business plan. You wouldn't walk into a bank looking for a loan with a business plan written in that manner. At least I hope you wouldn't.

As Ice Cube, that sage businessman once said (with the help of Chuck D), "Check yo self before you wreck yo self."

Good luck.

bobby m - My original partner was my best friend, he backed when I got my half of the money. And on top of that, he hadnt helped me with any of the business plans...he mostly helped clean and split the cost/final products when we were done brewing MY recipes

....i foresee him asking to partner up again in a year or so when he wants to leave his cubicle, when i am completely up and running

....lesson learned, even though i had known this before i ignored it. Never do business with friends or family.

and be skeptic as long as you want but i thought i made it clear when i said PM me for details or if you are interested or whatever. i never asked for money, i never even asked for anyones email address. and i suppose the only way to prove my realness within your internet club was to respond quickly and as aggressive as most of you had replied

thanks to whoever wished me luck

but i dont even want that posted here...i dont need your best wishes...i need a partner, end of story

shecky, read my first post.

I should not have even gotten responses at all from most of these people. I am not afraid to tell them how it really is.

As far as my brewing prowess goes, I don't have any. I dont have any experience in a brewery. I just have things that I have successfully done.

Grammar, if you people are really upset because I misplaced a few comas, added a few ... where they shouldn't be, use i instead of I, then get over yourself because my point is still the same.

I have a loan, I used my business plan to get one. I'm pretty sure im smart enough to care when to lift my pinky finger and hit the shift button

....read my first post and others following, if your not interested dont answer...i could care less about the people who could care less....'na mean?

...there is only a handful of people on here who are decent people not looking for a fake fight with someone theyll never meet - i can assure you that none of these things would be said to my face - hide behind your ****ty avatar picture

PS - this statement is false. Not looking for a fight, just clarifying for future readers. And they would say it to your face.
There's a lot of wisdom here, professional and otherwise.
And I don't have an avatar picture.

...people with enough ballsack to leave the jobs that are making them miserable, miserable because they see a 24 year old making the kind of moves they will never have the balls to make...

Pure arrogance dude. You dream of running a brewery - great. Not everyone does. I can work half the hours and make 4x as much doing something else that I enjoy. Therefore I'd be a fool to give it up for a high-risk low-reward venture. It's not about balls...sounds like optimization to me.

Your post is not for me, fine. You want me to ignore it? Then don't sit there and tell me how miserable I am.

I read the first thread and thought "Hey, what a great idea! I sure hope this guy doesn't turn out to be a scammer. I'm going to follow this one in hopes that someone partners up and they hit it big. That'd be cool."

Then you kept talking.

You're on a forum devoted to homebrewing as a hobby, full of people who have both had the dream and don't, who have either careers or just jobs they kill time at. There is a diverse group here, and yet you imagine that they're all just trying to make you look bad.

This is, by the way, coming from someone else who took a hobby, invested a bit of money and a whole lot of time, and made it into a career. I work for myself and love/hate every minute of it ;)
I sure as hell didn't start it by telling people with more experience in my industry that they're jealous or out to get me.
Seeking a business partner, proclaiming how you have such an amazing, professional model, and then speaking poorly and acting worse doesn't build confidence.

You need to grow up, and take a lesson in decorum.

raenon - Honestly none of these people know me. And the whole point of them even posting here in the first place was to get a rise out of me. They did, Ill never back down from an awkward situation.

The only reason I came onto this forum was to find someone who wanted to take their hobby to the next level. Like me. Im not looking for people who have worked in the industry, just so they can tell me how to do things.

People have hobbies because they like doing them, yes? That is the kind of person I would like to partner up with, someone who wants to enjoy their work. I dont care if I make it big (although that would be nice), I just want to have a profitable business doing something that I love to do everyday and have enough money to put food on my family...bushism...to have a home and food on my plate

The fact of the matter is, I posted here to find a business partner in Massachusetts.

I really just got confused when all these people from 2500 miles away post here saying all kinds of rude things. I have a strong personality and I burn plenty of bridges but I am not here to sell my business or products. Half of the things I have said have been out of complete entertainment for myself, and if you cant laugh at some of the things things said then I feel bad.

like I say to everyone else, read my first post - none of this should have even happened. I enjoy all the posts from massachusetts, none of them have been jerks.

I posted this in the Massachusetts forum.

Born and raised in Massachusetts, so I'm grandfathered in.

You can expect responses from everywhere on this forum, especially for posts like this.

lol I did expect them, just not this bad

...also didnt see the scam accusations coming either, but my hindsight is 20/20

it makes sense

Born and raised in Massachusetts, so I'm grandfathered in.

You can expect responses from everywhere on this forum, especially for posts like this.

I got invited to Masstoberfest and have met Cape in person. And I'm a Celtics fan. Does that count for something?

if only I knew how to copy and paste

i just thumbs upped your post, that was good one at least everyone probably thinks youre the man haha...well at least honest

my girlfriend uses smiley faces...

Back