Anyone use this ebay refractometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using this one (similar price) and it has been within 1 point of my hydrometer, even with alcohol present (after correction of course).

I have the grand index model from eBay. It is great, I was really surprised for the $17-$18 I paid for it. It was dead on with my hydrometer out of the box, no calibration needed.

I have the grand index model from eBay. It is great, I was really surprised for the $17-$18 I paid for it. It was dead on with my hydrometer out of the box, no calibration needed.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago after getting some odd readings with my hydrometer (no extract so it wasn't a mixing problem). I calibrated it with distilled water, but haven't used it yet. The reviews I found on it before buying it were pretty good and you couldn't beat the price.

Looks identical to the one I bought on eBay 4 years ago, except mine doesn't have the SG scale (which is superfluous, in my opinion, since any fool can estimate SG from Brix). I calibrated mine once with distilled water, and since I hit all the numbers in the recipes I use, I've never had any reason to question it. Great bargain.

Latest posts

Back