help needed! quite urgent to!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XELA

Reaction score
hiya

Can i make cider/scrumpy from the following?? only one gallon (because apple juice is way to expensive)

bout a gal of 100% organic apple juice

Glucose (dextrose powder)

two 5 litre plastic bottles

wine yeast

campden tablets

bout a gal of 100% organic apple juice

im tryin it in a couple of hours an left it till last minuet to make sure everythin was ok..

dno if and when ill need campdon either?

ta :)

I think it should work, although posting amounts of sugar you are planning on might be helpful.

Those bottles might be not what you want for conditioning though. Try to find some glass containers at least and sanitize them.

Campden is not necessary and in fact is a no-no if you want 'traditional' cider as a 'true' cider relies on the wild yeast on the skins. In your case there is probably no yeast present because of the required pasteurization now a days (at least this holds true here in the US). So no Campden should be necessary. Just put your liquids into the sanitized vessel(s), add whatever sugar you want (I would suggest boiling it in about a cup or so of water and letting it cool before adding to you juice to make certain of that the sugar hasn't been contaminated by airborne yeast/etc) and then pitch your yeast. You'll need to affix some form of airlock to your vessels to prevent contamination as well. The big deal here is, that after all your work you don't want to end up with vinegar or a spoiled batch.

im not sure how much suger ill be using, so ill jusy worry bout that in a couple of hours when im makin it

wouldnt campden be usefull after fermentation and carbonising to keep it bacteria free while aging??

i dno much about it, and i used campdon tablets in my first an last batch of cider (from a kit)

you can save $$ by usig just plain old ordinary pasturized juice instead of the 100% organic other then that I agree with Zoebish.

BTW ya really dont need to add any extra sugar unless you just want to up the ABV

And don't go over 2 lbs/per gallon on the sugar. That's about all wine yeast can handle.

XELA said:
im not sure how much suger ill be using, so ill jusy worry bout that in a couple of hours when im makin it

wouldnt campden be usefull after fermentation and carbonising to keep it bacteria free while aging??

i dno much about it, and i used campdon tablets in my first an last batch of cider (from a kit)

Campden will kill just about everything, including the yeast that will carbonate your cider. You can add it after fermentation, although honestly you shouldn't need to as the alcohol in the cider and proper sanitation management can help to ensure that you don't get an infection at that point. If you do decide to add Campden, then you'll need to wait about 36 to 48 hours prior to repitching yeast. (I have gone 24 hrs but this isn't recommended). And if you want it carbonated at that point you'll need to pitch more yeast. Personally, I would let it ride. Also keep in mind, too much Campden can be harmful to your health.

oh yea, i forgot apple juice is full of suger anyway... :p

ill take ur advice an leave the campden out then

an i have an airlock so thats all good,

dnt have any vodka for the airlock (dnt know if it matters jus usin water?)

if it works ill be on the look out for cheep apple juice!

I use Campden most of the time in my juice/fruit wines and usually do it at the beginning and every other racking, unless I'm using a juice that's already had sulfites added (Welch's grape juice, for example).

Campden does NOT harm your yeast wine- it kills/neutralizes wild yeasts and bacteria. Wine yeast has a tolerance to sulfites- that's why it's used that way. You can still ferment and carbonate as usual.

That said, no, you don't have to add campden. It's entirely up to you. Read the label on your juice- make sure there is no sorbate or other preservatives added. If there is, it won't ferment.

it says its 100% apple juice, says nothin bout preservatives so i asume it has none..

umm.. i dno if i should add cempden or not??

if i do, should it wait till after fermenting and carbonating ?

also how long should the juice take to ferment ?

Yooper Chick said:
Campden does NOT harm your yeast wine- it kills/neutralizes wild yeasts and bacteria. Wine yeast has a tolerance to sulfites- that's why it's used that way. You can still ferment and carbonate as usual.

Yeah this is true. The approach I took was an Ale yeast and the information I had read was specifically tailored to that (So I am guessing Ale yeast are not tolerant enough of the Sulfite). Good call.

XELA, just do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you have had success in the past using Campden feel free to do so!

Back