I took the plunge and bought a refractometer off ebay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....I need to figure out how to use it and read it. Does anyone have a tutorial video or website they would like to share?

Thanks
Joe

Get a bit of distilled water for calibration first. Put a few drops on the lens and make sure it's reading zero. I find it's best to make sure that there are few air pockets. Air pockets make fuzzy readings. There will be a calibration screw that you can turn to adjust the zero point.

As a rough guide, I simply multiply my reading by a factor of 4 to get a SG reading. Beersmith will correct it exactly if you like. I can't comment on other brewing software but I'd imagine they also perform this fundamental task. If your refrac is temperature correcting then you're pretty much done. Rinse really well between uses. I make sure it's well rinsed by sighting through it to ensure it's still reading zero. BTW, if it's dry, it won't read anything at all.

Thank you guys....lots of great tips. The refractometer I purchased is a 0-32% ATC. It should do everything I need it to do.

645d_1.JPG

great...the video answered all my questions...thank you

great...the video answered all my questions...thank you

Aw, come on! I'm sitting right here! Didn't I answer at least one question before you saw it on the video???

Okay, I get the thousand words and pictures thing, but some of us only have words and look terrible in pictures. I briefly thought of putting on a thong and tap dancing my way to a coherent interpretive dance representation of what the answer would look like, but I'm not attractive or graceful. I'm succinct. So... I gave a succinct answer. Goddamn it! I'm no BobbyM!!!!

And now, back to my regularly scheduled beer....

:D

hahaha that's good sh*t. What I meant was YOU and the video, that you brought to my attention answered all of my questions.

Aw, come on! I'm sitting right here! Didn't I answer at least one question before you saw it on the video???

Okay, I get the thousand words and pictures thing, but some of us only have words and look terrible in pictures. I briefly thought of putting on a thong and tap dancing my way to a coherent interpretive dance representation of what the answer would look like, but I'm not attractive or graceful. I'm succinct. So... I gave a succinct answer. Goddamn it! I'm no BobbyM!!!!

And now, back to my regularly scheduled beer....

:D

:drunk:

What I meant was YOU and the video, that you brought to my attention answered all of my questions.

*sniff* Well, okay then. I'm not too proud bask in the glow of pity credit. I'm pretty sure that SWMBO was ALREADY with child when we got married. The little bugger kept banging on the door and saying, 'I want to go home!' while we were consummating. I KNEW incubation wasn't that quick, but I used to do that all the time when I was a kid, too! She calls both of us her little nock, or rock, or something blockers. It's her pet name for us. She's kind of cranky too.

:(

*sniff* Well, okay then. I'm not too proud bask in the glow of pity credit. I'm pretty sure that SWMBO was ALREADY with child when we got married. The little bugger kept banging on the door and saying, 'I want to go home!' while we were consummating. I KNEW incubation wasn't that quick, but I used to do that all the time when I was a kid, too! She calls both of us her little nock, or rock, or something blockers. It's her pet name for us. She's kind of cranky too.

:(

Wow, what a wierdo!!!

Fingers,

No Offense buddy...but you are kinda weird....step away from the keyboard.:D

You know, I get that a lot. But I'll tell you one thing, being weird is a lot more fun than being conformist.

Back