Bringing homebrew on the plane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryShmegory

Reaction score
I am planning on bringing some of my brews across the country when I visit my family in California. Has anyone ever done this? Obviously I can't carry the beer on with me, but has anyone ever checked homebrew with your luggage? Would the change of pressure during the flight cause explosions? I'm flying with Delta, if that matters. Thanks

I am planning on bringing some of my brews across the country when I visit my family in California. Has anyone ever done this? Obviously I can't carry the beer on with me, but has anyone ever checked homebrew with your luggage? Would the change of pressure during the flight cause explosions? I'm flying with Delta, if that matters. Thanks

I use plastic bottles for this so I don't have to worry about them breaking, but glass works too, just be sure to wrap each bottle up with bubble wrap and then wrap your shirts around them. A plastic bag is probably a good idea too in case one of them happened to leak. :eek:

I've brought back loads of bottles internationally. Just put each bottle in a baggie and use your clothes for padding.

I have been doing this successfully for a while now with coming up to Chi-town once or twice every month. I pack an extra duffel bag in my main bag so as to not go over the 50 lb limit. I don't even bubble wrap, just wrap each bottle up in a piece of clothing and pack them all parallel to each other ensuring no movement of the bottles when you close your suitcase and shake it around. Knock on wood, but haven't had a fallen soldier yet. Got 20 back to Nashville on my last trip.

I used to bring bottles and growlers home with me all the time while traveling for work. Nearly every week for a year I'd being bottles back. I always just wrapped them in my clothes, Never lost anything.

I've brought bottles of beer internationally without trouble. I just wrapped 12oz bottles in bubble wrap or something to cushion them, then put them in large freezer bags (can get about three bottles in each bag) in case they burst. I then put them in the middle of my bag so the surrounding clothes act as an additional cushion. Didn't have any issues.

I was wondering about this myself. Thanks for posting. Does anyone know if shipping homebrew is a similar process? Just wrap and pray? or is there a trick anyone has learned to successful shipping.

i brought a whole rack back with me from germany in the early 90's stuffed in the bottom of a GI duffel bag.

shipping is similar but you can't use USPS since its illegal to ship alcohol with them, the companies just frown on it. wrap and stuff each into a baggie in case of breakage, pad each from the other and from the sides and bottoms.

Sky Harbor Intl in Phoenix wouldnt let me bring any liguids not in plastic vessel and over 4oz. that was July '08. maybe 7-fo-7s are more lax about stuff that gets checked?

I don't think they do that anymore. It was just for carry on items anyway they never stopped you from having liquids in your checked baggage

I just used delta in sept. had a case of stone RIS in my bags on the way home and a case of home brew when I went out (to cali.) and had no problems. I rap them in bubble rap then in my clothes. I took an extra suit case just for beer it was cheaper than shipping it.

I checked a full case of wine/bombers in a styro shipper. Jetblue didn't even look twice. Paying the $25 extra baggage fee is much cheaper than shipping CA-NY.

B

yeah, as stated you can still put them in checked baggage, but be extra careful....you've heard united breaks guitars, right?

Thanks everyone! The general consensus seems to be it's perfectly fine to bring homebrew on the plane (in your checked bag of course).

As MarshyKid said, apparently they pressurize the luggage cabin- don't they stick dogs and other pets down there? I guess that makes sense.

Back