adding a corny keg to my commercial keg setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee

Reaction score
Since I have a kegerator setup I naturally want to keg my homebrew. I am trying to gather the bits I need.

Does home brew in a corny keg require different pressure settings than my keg of commercial brew?

If so do I need another co2 tank?

Cheers.

The tank wont matter. The regulator you use should have adjustable pressures anyway so you can set it to whatever the corny needs. To my knowledge it works just fine either way. In place of the regular sankey tap you'll need to get a quick disconnect for gas in and you'll need to attach a quick disconnect for liquid out to the line going to your tap and just hook em up and go.

Shouldn't cost much at all to convert a line over.

I guess I should have been more clear with my question.
I would like to add a corny keg to my system. So I have two faucets that pours either my homebrew or what ever commercial keg I have at the moment.

I did this over the summer. What you need to do is get a double regulator or buy another single regulator and add it to the regulator that you have now. You have to do this because the kegs use different pressure settings. My setup uses 8psi for commercial kegs and 13psi for corny kegs.

Craig

The amount of pressure you use is independent of the keg type.. corny, sankey, whatever.. The amount of pressure depends on the beer (how much carbination you want) and the line length.

Theoretically, all you would need is a tee to branch your gas line to two different kegs. You only need a dual regulator if you want to have different pressure levels for each keg.

The easiest thing to do is get a kit like this:

sanktaptohomebrewconversionDC.jpg

The easiest thing to do is get a kit like this:

sanktaptohomebrewconversionDC.jpg

I saw that in another thread. I still don't understand what it does actually?
Do you still have to switch out the lines when going between a sanke keg & a corny keg?

I crunched some numbers (buying dual regulator & adding another keg to my existing system vs other options) & this
1%20Keg%20Basic%20Homebrew%2020oz5000.jpg
($120)
seems to be a good cheap way to achieve what I want, with the option to add a faucet soon.

I don't know if dealing with 2 co2 tanks would be a head ache though.

The two black plastic things are the fittings that go onto the cornelius keg. One gas, one liquid. The two barbed pieces with the nut on them attach to the end of your gas line and beer line. The two threaded nipples attach to your sanke coupler gas and liquid fittings.
When you want corny keg beer you screw the barb onto your corny liquid and gas fitting threaded nipples. If you want to go back to sanke you uscrew the lines off your corny fitting nipples and then screw them onto your sanky coupler gas and liquid nipples.

The two black plastic things are the fittings that go onto the cornelius keg. One gas, one liquid. The two barbed pieces with the nut on them attach to the end of your gas line and beer line. The two threaded nipples attach to your sanke coupler gas and liquid fittings.
When you want corny keg beer you screw the barb onto your corny liquid and gas fitting threaded nipples. If you want to go back to sanke you uscrew the lines off your corny fitting nipples and then screw them onto your sanky coupler gas and liquid nipples.

ahhhhh....OK.
thanks for your patience. :D

:mug:

By the way, that kegconnection conversion kit is what I bought. That's how I converted my standard kegerator over to homebrew. All you need if that kit and a keg and you are good to go.

Does it include the nuts to attach the threaded fittings to the sanke tap? I have a dual tap kegerator and one 1/6 barrel sanke that I would like to be able to easily use again in the future if I ever feel like filling it.

Your coupler should already have nuts on them to attach the threaded nipples.

Back