Much improvement with partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm getting back into brewing after taking a few (i.e., 10) years off. I used to be an extract brewer, but am looking to move up to grains. I'm not sure I want to go all-grain right off, but maybe partial mash for awhile. Is there much difference between (1) steeping grains and adding extract, and (2) mashing all but the base grains and adding extract? Either way, the wort's going to include extract, so I'm wondering if PM is worth the time or effort.

Welcome to HBT!

There is a difference between steeping and partial mash. With steeping you are only getting color and flavors from the grains. With partial mash you are extracting the sugars as fermentables.

I have a brew buddy that doesn't have interest in AG but I have moved him to partial mash. Because he brews on his stove top, 3.5 gallons is about all he can handle for a boil. Just yesterday we did a PM with a 5 gallon Igloo cooler, a large paint strainer bag, and a good thermometer. We actually got a lot better efficiency that the recipe called for.

PM is definitely worth it! You get better tasting beer.

Here is a good read: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Back