Another Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstStateBrewer

Reaction score
Thanks to many other threads on this forum, I have built the following fermentation chamber.

Here you see the old dorm fridge I am encasing with a 2x4 frame.

Fermentation-Chamber-Framing-Small.jpg

I bought 2-inch insulation board as the walls of the chamber.

The floor of the chamber was actually a cut-out piece of the wall from my sunroom when I installed an Airconditioner/heater window unit years ago.

I had some dark-finished plywood salvaged from an old kitchen we replaced years ago. I am using that for the front of the fermentation chamber.

2012-04-21_22-13-16_717-Small.jpg

Here you can see the amount of space inside! To operate the dorm fridge, I am using the Ebay Temperature controller which is popular in other threads! I will be hooking up an empty paint can with a light bulb inside to use as the heating element. I also have a computer fan running inside to circulate the air.

2012-04-23_07-47-20_655-Small.jpg

The chamber is mounted on some old casters I had. In this picture, you see how I have rolled it under the workbench in my garage!

2012-04-24_21-45-02_988-Small.jpg

Looks good. Do small dorm fridges generally have enough power to cool an area that large?

Looks good. Do small dorm fridges generally have enough power to cool an area that large?

I'm going to find out. I made sure to get the 2-inch insulation board, which is pretty thick.

I have tested that it drops and hold the air temperature to 35°F degrees, but my garage has been in the high 60s.

Last night I placed a glass carboy secondary in there fermenting an Abby Dubbel. The recipe calls for lagering it at 40°F degrees for 1-2 weeks after the first 10 days in the primary.

So, I punched up 4°C (40°F) on the temp controller and taped the temp probe to the carboy. The wort temperature was at about 68°F when I put it in. To quicken the chilling process I inserted a 12-pack of frozen water bottles overnight.

This morning, the temp controller read 4°C. If it's holding temperatures, it should still be at 4°C when I get home from work this afternoon!

However, I may have to find a way to keep my garage cool in the summer!

Back