Campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JedSmithBrewery

Reaction score
Do campden tablets affect the flavor of the finished product? I want to know because I was making an Apfelwein and I wanted it sweeter rather than dryer, so I cold crashe it before fermentation was finished. Now I want to bottle it, but if I take it out of the fridge without killing the yeast, they will jump start again and then the whole thing would have been for nothing. I just don't want to crew up the flavor, though.

THX- Jed Smith

THey don't effect the flavor, but remember that campden alone won't stop fermentnation. You need to use potassium sorbate too. Even that doesn't completely stop fermentation, it just keeps yeast from reproducing. But effectively will stop it for you.

Wait, so I need to pitch campden tablets and potassium sorbate as well. Should I do this at room temp or does it matter.

Campden and sorbate don't really stop an active fermentation. Stopping an active fermentation is like stopping a train. If it's already stopped, then you can rack into the sorbate and campden, and it should prevent any renewed fermentation from starting when you sweeten it. Remember that you can't carbonate the wine/cider after you sorbate it.

Remember that you can't carbonate the wine/cider after you sorbate it.

Well if you keg no problem....and if you wanted to still put in a bottle you could use Counter Pressure Bottle Filler.
...just sayin

But after you Campden, if you've waited a month or two, can't you repitch yeast and then prime it?

Back