Why Won't My Capper Cap -- Pic Link Incl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooneDocks

Reaction score
I have my first ever batch of beer in the fermenter. Today I thought I scored a great deal on a capper (but I have never owned nor used a capper). When I got it home, it didn't crimp the cap. I have uploaded some pics (my first try in doing that too -- hope that went better than the capper). In the first pic, at least to novice me, it seems to look like a bench capper. In the second pic is a close up of the "bell housing" the cap fits into (there is probably a more scientific name than bell housing, but it will have to do for me). In the third pic I show how a cap seems to fit perfectly in the beveled edge of the bell housing. But when I pull down the lever and the cap sets on the top of the bottle, no crimping takes place. Help please, what may be wrong?

[IMG="http://picasaweb.google.com/barygoone/BrewPics?authkey=r23x7dBt06k#"]

And it doesn't seem I did a whole lot better creating a link than I did in buying the capper (but the link works on a cut and paste)

Remove the [IMG="[/COLOR] from the beginning of your link... and the[COLOR="SeaGreen"] "] from the end then it'll work .. like this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/barygoone/BrewPics?authkey=r23x7dBt06k#
Looks like it may be missing the center "insert" But it's hard to tell what that capper should have had.
The really good news is that you will be forced to leave your beer alone while you figure out what's up with the capper.

I have a capper like that which was purchased by my father in law for me. It appears there should be a capping 'bell' inside which is what crimps the cap.

I'm thinking that a replacement might be available that works on the newer style cappers. It would have to be rigged to attach to your capper.

If you find a replacement bell, let me know since I would like one too.

Two possibilites come to mind looking at the pic. One its old and may be a bit stiff and just need some more elbow greese to get them on. Or two the lowest setting is still a bit to high for your bottles. It doesn't seem from the pic that it will do short bottles. In which case a block of wood would solve the problem.

Could also be the bell size but its hard to tell from the pic.

I wonder if your capper has the 29mm crimp bell instead of the standard 26mm. It seems there is an oversized bell available for use with some European bottles. If that's the case if probably won't crimp the standard size caps. Is the bell threaded at the top where it attaches to the capper? Maybe you can swap it for a standard bell.

Stupid question, but are you sure you're pulling hard enough on the lever? It can take quite a bit of force, more than you might think.

It might be worth donning some safety glasses and really putting some force on it just to be sure.

UPDATE UPDATE Well it seemed if I put any more force on that lever the bottle for sure was going to break. But, I said wtf, bit my lip, put a block under the bottle and really laid on it. Voila, the cap slid up into the bell and the bottle was capped and crimped. But then another issue arose, I had great difficulty pulling the capped bottle down out of the bell. It didn't seem like there was corrossion up in the bell, but there must have been enough to make it very hard to push the cap up into the bell and not being able to get it out was further evidence. I cleaned the inside of the bell using a Dremel with a wire brush attachement, but caps were still sticking up there. I had to get out some grinding tools and really go at the inner surface of the bell and after a few rounds of grindings, it is now coming back out with a lot less pull. I will polish it up, and maybe put a little wax in it and I think I am going to be good to go. Thanks for the advice all!!! I do feel like a bit of an idiot for ever posting this in the first place, but then this likely won't be my last somewhat stupid post either. :)

just add some wax or grease to the bell. it will make the cap slip out a lot easier.

Back