Splitting Crowns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC_Ryan

Reaction score
I just received a good size hop crown from fresh hops. I think I would like to split it in two but I'm not sure how. Do I just cut the sucker in half and call it a day? I've searched but didn't find anything.

Also, is there any disadvantage to splitting the crown. Should I expect less of a harvest if it is split? Thanks in advance.

I haven't done it with hops, but I would think they would be fine to cut in half with an axe or even a pruning saw. If you can cut a rhizome (off a crown), and it grows, I don't see why splitting a crown would kill it.

I have done it with hosta crowns (axe split) and you end up with two plants..

i bought one of the hop crowns to and i split it in half by pulling on each half and untwisting the mass of roots. they are more twisted togther than anything you really shouldnt have to cut it but it should be ok to cut if you need

I am not saying don't cut it because I have no clue. But the guy I talked to from Freshops said he definately would not recommend cutting a crown in half. He actually told me just to buy a couple Jumbo's or the Super Jumbo. He didn't explain why but I took his word for it. I was going to split one with a guy but I passed after being told that. Good luck!

uhlee1 said:
I am not saying don't cut it because I have no clue. But the guy I talked to from Freshops said he definately would not recommend cutting a crown in half. He actually told me just to buy a couple Jumbo's or the Super Jumbo. He didn't explain why but I took his word for it. I was going to split one with a guy but I passed after being told that. Good luck!

rofl probably because he wanted to sell you more.

Dextersmom said:
rofl probably because he wanted to sell you more.

2 Super Jumbo's still would have been cheaper than 1 crown. Although next year I may get a crown if they offer.

Back