Accidental malt swap - oh no, or oh boy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanb034

Reaction score
Alright, so I have a fairly simple question. I am pretty new to homebrewing (but enjoying it immensely so far) and yesterday decided to try my hand at a saison. Got through the whole boil smoothly, but after I had finished, I looked at the recipe again and realized I made a huge mistake. The recipe I used called for 3.9 lbs of Pilsner extract, 1.1 lbs of wheat extract and 1 lb of Vienna malt. I stupidly misread the recipe and used 3.9 lbs of wheat and 1.1 lbs of Pilsner (I used the right amount of the Vienna - go me!). Obviously, this is going to taste pretty different. I'm still positive about the outcome, but I'm not really sure if it is going to taste like a saison. Does anyone with more experience know what this might end up like? I was figuring it just may taste more like a wheat beer/hefeweizen, which I would be okay with, but maybe someone has a more exact idea?

I did learn from this to always read the recipe twice BEFORE starting! I don't want to mess this up again!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I did figure I would be fine since most flavor comes from the yeast, but I was a little concerned it may make some people scratch their heads. I was actually planning to start a wheat beer after I racked this to my secondary, so I am excited to see how this tastes.

I'd say proceed as normal with this, it doesn't sound as though anything is going to be wrecked. Then for your next batch make the one you originally intended.

Mistakes happen, and sometimes those mistakes can make a beautiful beer. Push on my friend, let us know how it turns out!

More than likely the wheat extract is only 50/50 wheat/pils or 2-row, so it might not be as big of an error as you may have thought. I think you'll be quite happy with the results.

Back