American Wheat carbonation level question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nduetime

Reaction score
I suppose 3/4 priming sugar would be alright for an american wheat right? German Hefe requires the same but I know they are a little more carbonated than an american. Should I hold back just a little for my American Wheat?

Actually, the American hefe should be carbonated at a little higher rate than the German one. 3/4 cup should do just fine - that usually gives you about 2.5 volumes of CO2, which is pretty standard for an American beer.

I always measure my carbonating sugar by weight, not volume. Sugar packs... like flour does... I always do it by weight. My last Heffe was primed with 8oz... it was awesome!

oops wrong way...thanks. should i go with a little more than that?
crap...wait. its only 2.5 gallons. my math sucks but if i do it right it should be 3/8 cup.

i don't have the best of scales right now. that's my next purchase....a trusty digital scale.

I was looking at that site. There is a huge difference between an American Wheat (2.3-2.6) and Weizen/Weissbier (3.6-4.5). Any thoughts about an American Wheat recipe kit that I used Hefeweizen yeast for?

Back